1. shambles

shambles Member

I need opinions on my setting...

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by shambles, Feb 22, 2016.

So, my current WIP is set in a very impoverished mill town, similar to many places near where I live. The mill is located on a river and the side it is on is the poor side. The people who live there are more racially diverse, unemployment is high, salaries are low, the houses are dilapidated at best, and their school shuts down because of lack of funding, the overall feel is poor. There are problems with rape, assault, theft, and drugs on this side. On the other side of the river is the middle class community. They have sufficient housing, it's majority of people are white, they have good salaries, a good school, and the like. Since the school closes, the kids from the poor side of the river are forced to transfer to the school on the middle class side. While there, racism becomes an important concept in the story.

I was just wondering if anybody can give me some tips on how to make the setting easily visualized for the reader. I want them to be able to see the differences of the two sides of the river and to see the truths of poverty and the issues that come with it. Thank you in advance for any input!