1. UrbanBanshee

UrbanBanshee Member

The Right Word

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by UrbanBanshee, Apr 17, 2012.

I am looking for a word, but I don't know what it is. It isn't crucial to my story exactly but I will feel much better if I can figure out a good word.

What would be a good word to describe blindly following something? Specifically rules and regulations without question, and believing that what is being done is for the best simply because it is easier that way.

A term instead of a single word is fine too, I'm just at a loss at how to sum this up in a clear description. I'm sure there must be a good word for this.

2. Cristian

Cristian Member

Idolater?

3. prettyprettyprettygood

prettyprettyprettygood Active Member

Hmm, I'm thinking compliant or acquiescent but I'm not sure if they're quite strong enough for what you're after?

4. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

we have a good word for this in swedish and when I looked for a translation of it, it gave me a red-tapist. I have never heard that word before but it seem to corrispond with what you were describing: "One who is tenacious of a strict adherence to official formalities"
    It also said a formalist, but I don't know if that is what you're looking for.

5. UrbanBanshee

UrbanBanshee Member

Oh Compliant and Idolater are really good words. Thanks :) Definitely close enough that I am pretty happy

6. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

I'd probably describe your guy as dogmatic, or slavishly following something. But if its more intense than that you might want to describe him as fanatically obediant or similar.

Cheers, Greg.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

sheep
    toady
    sycophant
    or
    btw, an 'idolater' is a 'pagan'... one who doesn't believe in orthodox religion... i'm pretty sure cristian meant 'adulator'...