1. yagr

yagr Senior Member

1st and 3rd person...maybe

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by yagr, Aug 15, 2014.

Hello all!

I've finished book one of a series and it was written first person by my MC. I'm made a late reference to him writing a book about his adventures within the MS and his name graces the cover as the author. I'm comfortable with all that.

I'm having a bit of consternation regarding the second book however. In chapter one, my fourteen year old MC meets up with his love interest. She's in trouble and the two run off to find my MC's mentor/teacher. By the end of chapter one, they are separated: MC off on his own and his mentor and love interest trying to find him.

The books plan, as it almost seems wrong to call this 'my' plan, was to alternate chapters. I'm having some serious difficulty however, finding my voice in chapter two when the MC is out of the action. My question to all of you is: what are my options? Okay, well actually, I can probably figure that out on my own...let me ask a better question. What are my good options? Also, what pitfalls might I keep in mind with certain narrative techniques while doing this?

I've very rarely seen two first person accounts in alternating chapters and the only one I can recall at the moment, the two MC's were taking turns telling the story. Anyway, any tips, thoughts, ideas?

Thank you.

2. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

In a series I used to read The Babysitters Club ( no jokes!) for the Super Editions they use to have the character's alternate the chapters so for a camp special chapter one would be from Kristy's pov, then Claudia's and so on. It was quite fun because you got to see each character's perspective and experiences at camp.
    You actually have a great opportunity in telling the story from two pov's - The mc is not only showing the world through his eyes but his love interest gives you another side to him as she's thinking about him and searching for him. The contrast would be quite interesting. I don't see too many dilemma's except that you make the love interest & mentor's journey just as exciting.

yagr likes this.