1. Quote

Quote Member

Currently Reading::
    Welcoming Recommendations

Tagging Etiquette

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Quote, Sep 11, 2022.

I saw a conversation between three users concerning POV that I thoroughly enjoyed reading and wanted to add to it. Ignoring the fact that the three of them clearly have far more knowledge on the subject than myself, I felt like what I wanted to add would detract from the OP and would be more appropriate as a new thread. However, while I certainly welcome all other perspectives and opinions, I would really like to get these three users' thoughts on the topic and so I was wondering if anybody here would think it rude to tag these three in a new thread?

I don't want anybody to feel like they're being forced into a conversation that they don't want to be in or have already exhausted everything they have to say.

Or is there another way to go about this? Maybe a private message or something? I don't know. I'd appreciate some feedback. I'm always hesitant to post anything at all for fear of offending someone (which would be funny if you knew me personally).

2. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

I guess it's all in how you approach it - if you create your initial post and then finish it with "what do you think @Quote?", you are cajoling them into replying which they may not appreciate, and the nature of a forum is that by starting a thread you are inviting all members to join in and this may appear exclusive.

I guess if you put "I read @Quote's incisive comments in this thread (insert link to thread) which made me wonder [your reason for starting a new thread]" then you are alerting them to your post without being too pushy, but maybe ask yourself is it really a new thread? Thread drift isn't encouraged or appreciated, but if your question/point is related to the thread to which you allude, there is no reason why you can't contribute. The only dumb question is the one you need answered but don't ask.

Private messaging is also there if you want to ask a simple, direct question. Most members would respond favourably to the direct approach, but it is entirely up to them whether they tell you to eff off and start a thread, or even respond at all.

Quote likes this.
  3. Quote

Quote Member

Currently Reading::
    Welcoming Recommendations
    That is actually a fantastic way of going about it, I think. That feels like it can alert them to the idea that the post's subject is near to what they were already discussing and invite them to join the discussion while not seeming like you're trying to force their hand.

Maybe it doesn't need a new thread, but as I was looking at the OP's specific question about POV, I felt like my own topic would have detracted from that and does indeed warrant a new thread.

Luckily, one of the people I was referring to saw this thread and figured out easily enough I was referring to them and have already messaged me so that's nice. Despite having grown up with the Internet, I'm not really someone who has a lot of history with Internet forums so I'm a little hesitant on etiquette. But I'm a little hesitant when it comes to anything in my life, so maybe that's just me.

Thanks for the perfect response, Hammer. I think you found a pretty elegant solution to any future, similar issue I might have.