?

Which would be a better main character?

1. The lowly paralegal tired of getting crapped on at work and quits to chase his dream

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. The lawyer that gives up everything to chase his dream

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. KBWrites

KBWrites New Member

Your opinion wanted

Discussion in 'Research' started by KBWrites, Mar 27, 2024 at 4:11 PM.

I gathered my notes the other day for my upcoming romance WIP. When I initially mulled this idea, my main male character was a paralegal who quit his job to follow his dream of being a full time author. In the latest rendition of notes, he was a six-figure + lawyer who walked away from it all to follow his dreams.

Whoever it turns out to be, the girlfriend isn't happy about his decision.

Further info... the lawyer is forced to face a moral dilemma at his job that spurs his desire to quit. He is also better off financially, which is why I think there would be a greater impact on character growth when it all goes away. With the rest of my plot points, there is no way the character could remain at his job (outside influences)

Further info... the paralegal is tired of getting shit on at work from overpaid lawyers. He decides to follow his dreams. Money-wise, he doesn't stand to lose a great deal, but the potential for more is great. I'd have to figure out more conflicts for him.

When the main character walks away from his job to follow his dream of being a writer, his girlfriend walks away from him. I can envision a different trajectory for each with their own set of conflicts. The only constant is they have both been saving money for the planned departure date.

So what is your opinion? Which do you fell would be the better main character and why?

Thanks for your input.

2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I'd say the high-priced lawyer walking away would have more narrative oomph. Higher stakes, more to lose, etc....

Both are likely to be disappointed, however, as writing doesn't pay much, as just about everyone in this community can attest to. If the girlfriend is seeking financial security, running away from the writer is probably a smart move.

Not the Territory and KBWrites like this.
  3. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I get that your character is walking a way from a job. That's something concrete. But what is he talking towards? Just quitting everything and changing his whole life to follow a dream of being a writer seems kind of ridiculous without some more concrete details in place. Is he any good? Did he secretly apply and get into Iowa? He would probably have to quit his job to pursue that. Has he been working on a detective series and just landed a 3-book deal? I don't think anyone would drop everything to pursue writing without some sort of sign that it could work out. How long has he planned this? How long has he been writing? The girlfriend must know something about his writing dreams before it gets to this point, no?

I don't know if you are setting your character up for failure or greatness, but it sounds kind of like more of a midlife crisis than a career change. Of course, that could depend a lot on how you frame it. But you do have to keep in mind that most people who want have a writing career fail. And of those who do make it, it takes way longer than anyone thinks it should. The way you seem to have it set up seems pretty equivalent to packing up his car and taking off for Hollywood to make it as a movie star. Lot's of people have these dreams. What makes your character decide to go for it at this point in their life? And is there really any chance for success? You could have very different kind of stories based on these answers. You don't have to answer these questions. They are just some things to think about.

4. Homer Potvin

Sure, but people do dumb shit all the time.

deadrats likes this.
  5. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

If I never did anything stupid, I'd never do anything...

deadrats likes this.
  6. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Yeah, I mean I sort of did this, and it is sort of working out for me. But I dedicated so much time and energy into the art of short fiction for many years, as documented in this forum, and there was nothing but rejection for years. And I was trying as hard as I could. Reading feverishly. Writing often. And I also got an MFA.

And the MFA option might be something he wants to consider for his character. In that case, the character could quit his job snd move to Iowa to live the writer's life for two years. I say Iowa because that's known to be the best program, but it could be anywhere. And there are plenty of funding options if you are good enough to get those spots. Getting into an MFA program could give the character some validation he needs to really go for it. Just an idea. It probably depends on what kind of writer the character wants to be. MFA programs focus on literary fiction.

Another things that could realistically kick off this character deciding to really go for this is that he gets into a residency like Yaddo where he gets to live in the Catskills and write his beautiful novel. These sorts of things are competitive, but they don't cost the writer anything and some have stipends.

I'm just saying there are ways to step into an all-about-writing world that aren't all that crazy. However, I think it takes a solid decade to become any sort of overnight success. But perhaps this character is really good. But when did he find the time to write during his busy career? I mean he wants to leave his job to write, what does that look like? Also, why is the girlfriend so against this? Has she read his work? Does she think he sucks?

7. Homer Potvin

Wait, what? Haha.

8. Not the Territory

Not the Territory Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Both are turning away from lucrative jobs. The lawyer has indeed committed more of his life to his profession, though. Has he been in the job long enough to even pay off his lawschool debt?
    Why is the potential for more great? As deadrats asked, was he already offered a book deal? It's hopefully something more than 'my high school English teacher always said I should be a writer.'

The opportunity cost adds up quickly. He's only got so many career years. Women are sometimes better at understanding that than men. Things like affording children, basic transportation, a retirement, or a house all drip away. Those aren't vapid lifestyle traits; they severely affect the only life one gets. It's serious, which is why it makes for compelling drama. Fixed income is so close to destitute these days it's not even funny.

But... anything is possible. Sometimes you can do something idiotic and win the lottery. Truth is much stranger than fiction that way. The financial reality that most writers (even good, published authors) face is simply not good, but things can work out however you want them to. It's your story.

The choice will me leaning either to something more dreamy (which is fine, many successful stories do) or grounded.

Personally, I'm more interested in seeing the paralegal take that plunge. I don't have any justification for that opinion, though, and it all depends on how it's written.

9. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

He could have some kind of crisis caused by his harrowing high-stress job—a near-death experience or something, and it changes his whole outlook on life. He realizes material wealth and external status isn't the right way for him, it's necessary to develop his inner life, and it needs to be through writing. Maybe he remembers a time when he wrote something that started to show him his inner life, which wasn't allowed to emerge until then, but he stifled it and took the nose-to-the-grindstone path instead.