1. Marcushunterwolf

Marcushunterwolf New Member

Animal Fiction?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Marcushunterwolf, Jun 3, 2011.

Do you think that the genre of animal fiction is a good genre to write? It's the only type of writing that I am confident in.

2. SilverWolf0101

SilverWolf0101 Active Member

Any genre is a good genre to write if you ask me. As long as it doesn't push the boundries of some of the most weird/twisted stuff.

And like my one teacher use to tell me in creative writing club, write what your confident in.

3. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Jack London seemed to do all right with it.

4. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I agree, any genre is good as long as it's well-written. If you're confident in it, go for it! :)

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it's not a matter of what anyone thinks is a 'good' genre to write in, but only of which one you can write best in and want to write in... period!

i'm curious... why do you think some genres would be 'good' and others not?

6. Marcushunterwolf

Marcushunterwolf New Member

It's just that I was worried for some reason, that animal fiction was a genre that was, I don't know, not as popular and not as successful in being published. By good genre I meant is it a genre that people will want to read. Sorry for any confusion.

7. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

Animal fiction as in, like, Brian Jacques, with animals that talk and sing and dance and then fight things with swords and run an abbey and you're not really sure if the abbey is mouse sized or human sized or whether they're all the same size in this fiction anyway? He's popular-ish, I think.
    I mean, animal fiction like that will probably always have more fans in the younger denomination of humanity. You know, children and stuff, but I guess that's what's good about Brian Jacques. It's violent enough that teens can love it too.

That's a little bit biased, isn't it? What's wrong with pushing the boundaries of anything? That's one of the great things about literature. It can successfully push the boundaries:

"There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written or badly written." - Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

I personally think it's weird and twisted to write crime thrillers about murderers, especially when they're actually written relatively well, because it makes me think, "What the hell is wrong with your imagination?"
    Really, there's nothing WRONG, but I just think that there are better things to imagine. And although V.C. Andrews doesn't push the boundaries, I don't like reading her stuff because it's full of rape and child abuse.

Still... there's nothing WRONG about that. It's just not my cup of tea. But there is something wrong with saying that someone should only write something "as long as it doesn't <this>."

8. SilverWolf0101

SilverWolf0101 Active Member

I actually have no problem with crime novels, and that wasn't exactly what I was referring to when I said about pushing the boundries.
    If you are wondering what I was referencing to it was more towards the type of books my sister writes (which I have no favor to read, but she constantly feels the need to tell me of). Now I prefer not to state it in public eye in case I come to offend anyone so if you wish to know about said stories feel free to send me a message and I will discuss it there.

9. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

Note the "I personally..." in reference to crime thrillers. What you were talking about, my mind jumped to other things.

10. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

Animal fiction? Like "Animal farm"?

11. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

^ I love George Orwell.

I personally think it'd be cool to write a humorous mystery novel where the protag is a cat or something.

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

been done ['undercover cat'... 'that darn cat' as movie, for one] with both cats and dogs...

13. Daydream

Daydream Contributor Contributor

Like Redwall I assume? Man I loved that series!