1. Little Miss Edi

Little Miss Edi New Member

Paolini sells 41k books of Brisingr in 24 hours

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Little Miss Edi, Sep 24, 2008.

I wasn't sure where to put this, but I thought it might be interesting to you guys, especially as I know your feelings towards Paolini :D

Apparently his new title Brisingr (book three of the Inheritance Cycle series) sold 41,028 copies in 24 hours beating Stephenie Meyers Breaking Dawn and the last Potter book paperback.

(I thought it was also nice to add that if it retails at £6.99 and he gets a nice 15% he made £43k in 24 hours - and they say writers are poor!!! :p )

For more info:
    http://www.thebookseller.com/news/67521-official-brisingr-slays-rivals.html

2. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Most writers would be if they only made money from writing, even those who write best-sellers. Most books don't stay on that list for very long. So they may get a whole bunch of money upfront, but it won't last. After a while those royalty cheques will reduce to a few hundred dolllars a month and then often stop all together unless they have a new book out.

3. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

Sweet! I think it's cool that someone could write stuff that popular so early in his life. More power to him.

4. Little Miss Edi

Little Miss Edi New Member

Yeah. I think the average wage of a writer is about £7,000 a year but I really found it kind of uplifting to see that you could make a little ( ;) ) money if you got a lucky run!!!

5. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Overe here you couldnt walk into a book store without noticing the advetising of this novel. It was all over the place. Its funny how the triology has now turned into four books (or was it five, i cant remember). Hopefully his listened to some of his critics (i though eldest was an improvement, though i dont know if i, myself wanna follow the story).

Good on him though.

6. Laughter Fading

Laughter Fading New Member

Good on him!

I personally am NOT a fan of Paolini, for various reasons, but I think it's great that someone of 19 years of age could be such an accomplished author. It's kinda inspiring. I was surprised to hear that he sold more copies of Brisingr than of Meyer's Breaking Dawn. I knew that was a popular one, and I thought it was good, but then again, maybe Brisingr is better than Eragon and Eldest. I haven't read it yet. Maybe I might, but in a while, after the prices go down. ;D

7. sweepy

sweepy New Member

He has done really well

i did read eragon and eldest and enjoyed them, unfornately in the three years or so he's taken to write the third one i've kind of lost interest...
    although i might read it in a bit, if my friends don't accidentally tell me what happens before then ;)

8. Ommonite

Ommonite New Member

I just realized this is not an American site. With Lira and 'good on him' everywhere.

Anyway I guess luck does payout a lot, and I here there are improvements. But my explanation for this is that there are as many haters as there are fans of the books.

9. fantasywriter

fantasywriter New Member

Yup, I bought Brisingr the day it came out, and I'm already over half way through with the book. Overall, I'm very impressed; it's well-written, unlike the last two, and more interesting in my opinion. Great work, Paolini!

10. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

It's good to see that some people believe that he's developed his skills. I could tell when I read Eragon that the guy did have some talent, but the skills were unrefined.

11. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

So the latest book isn't just a mangled regurgitation of Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, with all the interesting parts and the literary merit taken out and crappy cardboard cutout characters put in instead?

At least he's improving. I'd be less irritated if he were getting popular AFTER he actually gained some writing skills, but if he's actually growing as a writer rather than spiraling into self-important oblivion, then that shows a surprising depth of character, considering how much unwonted praise has been heaped on his frankly lackluster creations so far.

12. Drew_445

Drew_445 New Member

Thats how i felt as well, but from what I've seen, the fourth one should come out within 2 years OR LESS, seeing that he wrote most of it along with brisingr(i think he said he got 2k pages worth of writing, so he decided to split into 4 books not 3). I'm glad for that.

13. deadastronaut001

deadastronaut001 New Member

Wow, that's a great numbers
    [​IMG]

14. RIPPA MATE

RIPPA MATE New Member

On the skill thing, i don't think he has much, i mean the technicalities may all be there but when i read his writing its appalling. I mean he wrote eragon and since it was a first book that was fine, but he contues writing in the same fashion in his next books. I think his writing is somewhat distant, and it makes it all pretty lame. Eragon is such a bad character... anyway enough of my critisism.

Maybe his simple, unmusical (reading deadastronaughts sig), bland writing gives hi a wider audience...

15. Sephie913

Sephie913 New Member

I read Eragon at a request from a friend, and my first thought when I started it was: this reads like a story written from an English assignment, or something. My second thought was: Eragon is an impressive name for a MC, especially when he rides a DRAGON. After that, E(D)ragon was halfway decent. After Eragon decided to go try to save a girl from his dreams, showing character depth, a good amount of flaws, and brewing conflict between he and his mentor, I got more interested.

It had serious potential, but was a bit too undeveloped to say more. I think that it's ridiculous that he became so popular, but I'm also kind of glad; a decent substitute for the largely lackluster Potter series. He reminds me of Raymond E. Feist somewhat: a good read, but not as deep as it could be.

Wasn't one of his parents an editor, and the other a publisher? I remember reading something like that and thinking: yeah, he really needs to be good to make it in the business.

I've only read Eragon, but if he has indeed continued to improve, it's impressive that he cares to, with his original success.

16. Ziku

Ziku New Member

I haven't bought a copy yet, but I'm going to soon.

Paolini inspired me to a lot of my writing..... To be able to tell his stories at his age impressed me so much.

Also the writing in Eldest killed Eragon completely.... You can't be allowed to comare how the two are written, the second just puts the original to shame in my opinion