1. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

13 Reasons Why

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by chicagoliz, Jul 1, 2013.

Anyone read this book? It's a YA novel, which I wouldn't normally read, but my book club chose it. It uses an interesting device -- the book is mostly one character (a dead girl) narrating audio tapes that talk about why she killed herself. Interspersed with this is another character who is listening to the tapes and occasionally adds his thoughts. Due to the format, the amount of conventional dialogue is low.

2. CyberFD

CyberFD Member

I personally enjoyed it. I was very surprised because one of my friends was raving about it and I was pretty hesitant. It turned out really good.

3. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

I'm enjoying it so far -- I'm a little over 100 pages in. The author does a great job creating suspense - making me want to find out what happens next. I've just noticed that I don't think I've read anything in this format.

4. Oswiecenie

Oswiecenie Active Member

I read it a few years ago and it was one of the few YA novels I really enjoyed. It isn't completely flawless though.

5. IronPalm

IronPalm Banned

Has nothing to do with your post, but I just want to compliment you on a sweet Takeshi Kitano avatar.

As for "13 Reasons Why", I have heard of it, but have little interest in a book where a girl uses her suicide as a way to guilt and haunt others after death.