1. Snoopingaround

Snoopingaround Banned

Biographies

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Snoopingaround, Aug 16, 2011.

[​IMG]

So this is the biographies section. If you have read a good bio recently, or just want to share some bits of interesting facts and tales about people that you admire, some pearls of wisdom, etc., then do so here. I think that biographies are good for fiction writers to create realistic characters, so even if you are not into non-fiction that much, if you do write fiction, bios can be a good source of inspiration, I think.

Above picture is of Andrew Carnegie, steel tycoon from Pittsburgh in the 19th century. It was an autobiography of his and it was a very insightful read not only into his own life, but of the times and nature of the industrial period that he lived in. I learned not only about him, but a good deal of history from reading his book.

2. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

When Pride Still Mattered: A Life of Vince Lombardi by David Maraniss. Probably the best biography I've read -- gives a wonderful look into the life of the greatest coach the NFL has ever had. :)

3. Snoopingaround

Snoopingaround Banned

Sports bios are usually a good easy read. Last one I read was "Bo Knows Bo", an autobiography by Bo Jackson, whose real name is Vincent Edward (for those who did not know). I think he was probably the most gifted athelete of all time, in terms of raw natural talent. I am not gay, but if you have ever seen a picture of him with his shirt off from back in his prime playing years, wow, that is some sculpted body he had. Hmmm...it is possible I have a man-crush on him. I wish I had that kind of athletic prowess.

4. AfterBroadway

AfterBroadway New Member

This is probably my favorite way people start a sentence.

I've actually been wanting to read the autobiography of Anthony Kiedis. He's the lead singer of RHCP if you weren't aware. Supposedly, it's actually really well-written and interesting. You can always count on an ex heroin addict for some good stories. ;)

5. 281

281 Active Member

David McCullough did great biogarphies on John Adams and Harry Truman.

I usually don't read biographies, but started reading Adams and couldn't stop.

Truman was just as good.