Tags:
  1. StoryForest

StoryForest Banned

Commas for: "So he too was surprised"

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by StoryForest, Aug 23, 2019.

What would you say is the proper way to write, "So he too was surprised when she came to him for help."?

A: So he, too, was surprised whens she came to him for help.

B: So, he, too, was surprised when she came to him for help.

C: So he too was surprised when she came to him for help.

I was going to write it using A but have seen it written in B and C as well. Are any if them more correct than others?

2. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

C

3. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

Not sure, but can't it also be: "So, he too was surprised when she came to him for help"?
    I don't mean to confuse you. I'm just learning from these threads as well.

4. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

A comma after 'so' implies a shift in intention.

"So, you're saying that we shouldn't eat strychnine?"​

But you can read that and convince yourself that the comma doesn't need to be there. It really depends on its context. Is there a reversal in that sentence or is it all just a logical conclusion? That depends on the set up.

Commas around 'too' are used for emphasis, almost a dramatic inclusion.

"TSA accused my grandniece, too, of smuggling black tar heroin. We were arrested and our plot was foiled."​

Your sentence is very matter of fact. I don't know its previous context, but I'm also betting this should be C.

What makes this type of grammar tricky is that it's non-sentential. That's rare for grammar. It usually begins and ends at the sentence. The only way to get this one right is to look around it and see what the previous sentences are leading to.

5. Stephen Barnard

Stephen Barnard Active Member

C all day, for readability.

6. StoryForest

StoryForest Banned

Thanks, Everyone! Let me put it into context:

[John showed Paul the letter he received from Katy.]
    "Wow, I wasn't expecting this." Paul looked over at John. "I thought the two of you didn't get along."
    It's true. They didn't. John knew Katy was still angry with him. So he, too, was surprised when she came to him for help. But he found it difficult to turn her down when she told him the payment he would receive in return.

Do you think this work better with A, B, C, or some other variation?

7. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

In this case I would combine the two sentences with a comma to avoid the additional comma bukkake:

John knew Katy was still angry with him, so he too was surprised when she came to him for help.

8. Stephen Barnard

Stephen Barnard Active Member

Agree with Homer.

9. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Ah, the dreaded comma. We all struggle - some more than others.

10. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I'd also go with Homer's version and combine the sentences.
    John knew Katy was still angry with him, so he too was surprised when she came to him for help.

Technically, there should be a comma before and after 'too,' but it reads okay without it, and this is fiction, not technical writing. Your writing isn't terribly formal, so the punctuation can be less formal as well.

However, if you're in doubt, just put the commas in.

John knew Katy was still angry with him, so he, too, was surprised when she came to him for help.

Here's the general topic being discussed regarding the Chicago Manual of Style's rule : https://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/qanda/data/faq/topics/Commas/faq0004.html

11. StoryForest

StoryForest Banned

Got it. Thanks so much! Just curious, what if the sentence that comes before it is a bit longer like this. Is it okay for me not to combine?

“You did this on purpose, didn’t you?”

Paul spun around. “What? This isn’t even my idea. I just found out myself.”

It’s true. When Paul agreed to take on a new roommate, he didn’t expect for there to be a third. So he too was surprised when the landlord told him about the change in plans this morning. But he found it difficult to turn down the request when he heard his rent would be cut in half.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  12. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

My preference would be "A" but it would probably be better to recast the sentence.

13. LastMindToSanity

LastMindToSanity Contributor Contributor

About your last question, it comes off as a bit awkward to me no matter what I try to do to it. Maybe, you could rework the order of the sentences.

For example: It's true, he was surprised when the landlord told him about the change in plans that morning. When Paul agreed to take on a new roommate, he didn't expect for there to be a third.

Zombie Among Us likes this.
  14. StoryForest

StoryForest Banned

Thank you, LastMindToSanity! Your edit was super helpful. A lot of times I know the words I want to say but get lost in the order to put them in. Based on your example, I think I'll edit it to something like:

It’s true. He too was surprised when the landlord told him about the change in plans this morning. When Paul agreed to take on a new roommate, he didn’t expect for there to be a third. But he found it difficult to turn down the request when he heard his rent would be cut in half.

The reason I still kept the "he too was" part is because the scene is meant to emphasize a comparison between Paul and another character's reaction to the new roommate. The other character assumed Paul knew way ahead of time when Paul didn't. I don't think it flows as well as your edit, but I’ll try to keep it for now, leave it for a few days, and come back later to see if I can make it flow better. Thanks again! This is the kind of thing that I struggle with for days when I try to figure it out on my own.

15. Zombie Among Us

Zombie Among Us Active Member

I find that sometimes the best thing to do when you’re stuck is to take a step back and leave it for a bit. A fresh mind tends to think better than a weary one.

Good luck!

SethLoki likes this.