1. TJtheWildChild

TJtheWildChild New Member

Where am I?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by TJtheWildChild, Jun 6, 2015.

I have realized, the more I think about my story and characters, I don't really know where my story is taking place! I do know it takes place in the US but I guess I'm not really sure which city it should take place in. I want a place where there can be moody weather (at least during certain times of the year), a place that has some real grittiness to it in some areas but could also be the home of the wealthy in another. A place you wouldn't be surprised to find forefront advances in business, academics, and law. So I'm thinking that this story is taking place in a major city. I had originally wanted to write it taking place in Southern California because that is where I live and what I know, but I just don't think that will work. People are just going to think of "Sunny California" and while there are areas of business or education, I don't really see any of these as epicenters. Some other ideas I'm having are Washington DC, New York, Philadelphia, or Chicago. (I also briefly pondered San Francisco, but that didn't feel quite right either.) Do any of these cities seem reasonable places where you might find crime and an underground feel right alongside the wealthy and influential?

2. BrianIff

BrianIff I'm so piano, a bad punctuator. Contributor

To me, Boston and Miami would fit well, but that was more years ago, probably. Houston, maybe?

3. Stacy C

Stacy C Banned

Your description made me think of Seattle, but Baltimore would probably work, too.

4. TJtheWildChild

Thanks guys. I think New York, Chicago, Boston, and Baltimore are closest to the feel I'm visualizing in my mind.

5. Rhys

Rhys Member

You could always add a fictional state if none of them are close enough to what you want.

6. TJtheWildChild

Yeah, I had originally considered having a fictional city or town outside of a city, but a sort of subplot of the story is a sort of retelling of history so I thinking having it in a real place will bring more life to that aspect. I've actually decided on Baltimore. I think it has everything I'm looking for so thank you Stacy! :D (And everyone else).