1. katina

katina Banned Contributor

superstitions

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by katina, Feb 13, 2019.

Are you superstitious?
    And if so do you include it in your writing?

I used to be but I no longer.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  2. Necronox

Necronox Contributor Contributor

Nop, Never been superstitious. I have followed some "superstitions", but most of that is not for fear of breaking them, but mostly out of habit because those are what I grew up doing. For instance, when making cheese fondue you never should 'cross the pot' or change the direction your a mixing the cheese. Or alternatively when I cut a piece of white bread and there is a whole in it I think: "Well, someone in the family is going to die." I don't think anything of it however.

katina likes this.
  3. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

No.

4. Night Herald

Night Herald The Fool Contributor

No... Depending on how you define superstitious, of course. I used to be, somewhat, because superstition and/or religious beliefs is a common family trait, so I grew up around those influences.

I mean, I try to keep an open mind in all things, because the universe and reality is so damn vast and weird. I'm agnostic leaning towards atheism; I don't believe in any organized religion, scripture, or anything of the sort, but I am willing to accept that maybe, possibly, there are entities out there operating on such vast and incomprehensible scales that it may as well be called God. I don't believe there is, but I think we're too small and primitive down here to completely rule anything out.

It's the same with ghosts, spirits, and what have you. I don't believe in them, but what the hell do I know about anything? I guess some part of me wants to believe. I like a little mystery in my worldview, thank you.

I do 100% believe in extraterrestrial life, including advanced civilizations. If that makes me superstitious, then fine, I am. I will fight you. On the beaches and in the streets I will fight you.

5. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

Everyone is. Absolutely everyone is.

We are just not very good to find out the line between knowledge and impressions. When we receive impressions, we decode it as knowledge.

6. katina

katina Banned Contributor

@Alan Aspie
    Impressions? What do you mean by that?

7. Alan Aspie

Something looks or sounds like knowledge but is only an impreession of it. We act and think as if it was knowledge. We don't recognise that it is only an avatar or what is real.

8. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

I have to admit that any time I spill salt, I throw some over my left shoulder. Probably not a superstition, but if I receive a check, I never look at the amount until I'm standing at the ATM to deposit it. No idea why.

katina likes this.
  9. Alan Aspie

I thought that checks mainly disappeared from the face of the Earth in 80's or 90's.

I suppose I haven't seen more than 2-4 checks after 1985.

They have never been a big thing in Finland.