1. sashas

sashas New Member

Novel Controversial Topics

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by sashas, May 29, 2007.

I'm writing (ok, trying to write:))about some very controversial topics in my current novel. This includes such things as organized religion, war, the notion of freedom. Im offering a very bleak philosophy of utter hopelessnes in the novel, but I'm wondering how to approach these subjects.
    I'm trying to write about them in an over the top satirical manner, using quite a bit of the 'south park' humor. I think I can get away with saying a lotta things If I write my ideas in the form of a satire.
    At the same time, I'm afraid that the ideas won't be taken that seriously if I offer a very over the top humorous take on them.

What do you guys suggest?

2. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Utter hopelessness + Comedy.

I was also trying to write a piece about religion... opposing most of it really. But perhaps it would aid you to do it in a different time period? a different form of government? or maybe even have it in a business or school, and find some other sort of conflict that would reflect the war. Belief in the CEO and his supposed "master plan sent from above".

CORPORATE TAKEOVER!

I think you should just have a brainstorm session, and I've recently seen a site where other people contributed, so maybe we can do that here?

3. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

Why would you want to get away with what you want to say? If it's important and you've considered all the appropriate angles and still feel your outlook on a particular subject should be brought to people's conscious then why should you feel obligated to use humour to blanket your beliefs in your material?

"Ah F-k 'em" is usually my attitude to those who can't "take it". Unless you're intentionally using humour as part of your work then you should feel free to write just about any subject matter and not feel as if you have to walk on eggshells due to content that may be controversial.

And if it is controversial then let me make this clear: YOU WILL OFFEND SOMEONE! So don't worry about it.

4. sashas

sashas New Member

By get away I meant, I hope to get it published at least. It makes no sense to write down my entire 100,000 word philosophy and let it rot in my cupboard.

And yeah, I have the entire plot figured out. I can do it either the serious way, or the funny way. I seriously find the corporate takeover to be pretty lame, simply because the takeover is already complete :)

I think my writing style lends itself more towards satire than seriousness. I can never be sure if I'm not getting preachy in my serious works

5. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Why would I have meant an already completed corporate takeover? Just have US as Starbucks or something, and then they have some crazy ass plan to take over some family business owned by Middle-Easterns.

Lame... so much for helping.

6. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

I don't think its fair to call the idea lame, its not a lame idea at all really. Its just that it might not fit specifically with what you're intending to write about.

I like the idea of a satire, but as mentioned before - you will offend somebody, so don't censor yourself too much or you'll find yourself losing what you intended to do... if that makes much sense.

In any case, good luck with it.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

if you're writing a novel, nothing is gonna be 'taken seriously' to any degree!

if you want to make statements about the state of the world/human race/whatever and/or proselytize, writing fiction is not the way to do it...

people don't read fiction to learn things, only to be entertained... now, you may be able to stick stuff in there that you want to get across to others, but when it's in a fictional work, it's not going to have much, if any impact...

stick to essays and articles and scholarly treatises, if you want your ideas/pov to be taken seriously...

and, whatever road you take, for pete's sake don't wimp out and sugar-coat or tone down what you believe in and want to put across, if you really want it to be 'gotten' by the majority of readers... to pander to the few who will be pissed off at what you have to say, by watering down your message, will get it/you nowhere...

for examples, just check out the essays on my site... i write what i want to say, not what others want to hear... if some don't like it, they don't have to read it... you can do the same...

love and hugs, maia