1. topeka sal

topeka sal New Member

short story submission: no response

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by topeka sal, Jan 26, 2012.

I've been waiting almost 300 days to hear about a short story submission I made to a magazine with a 90-day average-response time. While, according to duotrope, the current response time is about 170 days, I'm still way out of the ballpark. I've sent two very polite queries and have had no response from these either. It was an on-line submission for which I did receive acknowledgment of receipt, so I know they got it.

I have no hopes for the submission--it was a stupid long-shot I never should have taken--but I'd still like a response. In fact, I'm jealous of all the people on duotrope who've received their rejections. All I want is my own rejection! Is that too much to ask? :)

I'm feeling a bit stuck. I want to send it other places but can't. I guess I should withdraw the submission? What do you think?

2. Baba Yaga

Baba Yaga Member

I don't know that you can withdraw it- can you? If you thought it was good enough to submit it, then leave it, but don't stress over getting a response on it now. Maybe start submitting it elsewhere in the meantime, or work on your next submission.

3. topeka sal

topeka sal New Member

Hey Baba. Thanks for your response.

The magazine in question does not allow simultaneous submissions, so that's the problem. I think it's ok to withdraw a story. In fact, if a simultaneous submission is accepted, you must withdraw the submission from the other markets to which you sent it.

As for "good enough"? Well, ahem... I'm pretty sure I sent the story in a moment of enthusiastic bravura and -- dare I say it? -- delusion. I don't beat myself up for that (well, not anymore!). I think everyone does this at least once. It's the old "why not start at the top?" syndrome. Thankfully I've returned to Earth and my goals are more realistic. But my delusional glee left me in this uncomfortable situation. A bit of bad luck I guess.

I am writing other stuff and submitting, so that part's good. I just, you know, want this thing back in circulation. I'm also a little peeved with the magazine for not responding to my queries. Even if they lost the story, they should give me the courtesy of telling me so I can move on. Little *grrrr*.

4. THP

THP New Member

I would withdraw it. Send a brief but polite email asking for it to be withdrawn. Then submit it to new markets.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

of course you have the ability to withdraw it... and after this long a wait, that's what i'd advise, so you can submit it elsewhere...

6. topeka sal

topeka sal New Member

Thanks, you guys. Yes, you're right. I suppose I've been holding off the inevitable because I'm revising the story a bit. Guess I figure I might as well leave it there until I have a (hopefully) better version to send elsewhere. But this may be a bad strategy as I find myself distracted by the shabby (though not unheard-of) treatment my submission has received. Time to pull the plug! Thanks!

7. picklzzz

picklzzz New Member

Sorry you're going through this. I'm unsure of the rules as well if you have something submitted to one magazine, are you not allowed to send it to others? I think that is shabby that they didn't have the courtesy to respond in any way! I got my first rejection today, and it didn't say why at all. I feel pretty upset about it, but at least I know I can / should try elsewhere. Anyway, good luck with submitting elsewhere! I guess I'll do the same.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it depends on whether you send it to a publisher that specifies 'no simultaneous submissions' or states it wants exclusive submissions in their guidelines... by doing so you are agreeing not to send it to anyone else unless the first one rejects it...