1. MatrixGravity

MatrixGravity Member

Having trouble with a job?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MatrixGravity, Aug 7, 2011.

Over the past two months, I have applied at over 20 retail locations. I've had two interviews, spoken to dozens of managers, distributed over 50+ resume's, and applied everywhere online. Since then, I haven't made much progress. I had a group interview a few days ago at American Eagle but I don't know if I did well. I have a friend who works there that spoke to her manager recently about hiring me there and I sure hope he considers me. I'm just running out of options. My mom screams at me everyday, and tells me I can find a job in 5 minutes if I wanted too because I have 'excellent english." What kind of job can I get in 5 minutes? I'm only 18 and I don't have THAT much experience in working but I'm proficient with computers> I just don't know what else to do. I hate sitting here day in and out but what else can I do? I go out 3 days a week and apply everywhere I can, but honestly whats the point anymore? I don't seem to be making much progress. What the hell am I doing with my life anymore? Am I not trying hard enough here guys? What else can I do to get a job? I don't know what to do. There are people my age out there making millions of dollars yet I am so incompetent and I can't do anything.. What should I do?

2. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

It's not you. My mom has been looking for a job herself, and she's trying her best and she can't find one. Part of the reason why you can't find a job is the troubled economy. Keep looking and Good Luck :)

3. arron89

arron89 Banned

Have you tried call centres? Or food service? Or warehouse work? Retail is notoriously difficult to get into (the old 'experience' paradox), unless you're either extremely charismatic or you know someone who can get you a job. But retail isn't the only area there are jobs--you may just need to broaden your horizons a little.

4. J.P.Clyde

J.P.Clyde Prince of Melancholy Contributor

Trust me I have tried to. It isn't you. It's the economy.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Retail is a little easier to break into around the holidays (from shortly before Thanksgiving to around Christmas). Those are temporary positions, but they can get you known to the store managers.

In the meantime, there are unglamorous jobs, including temp jobs on a day by day basis. Again, these jobs can get you known to employers, and at the same time build your own confidence.

These are tough times for job seekers. Don't take it as a sign of personal failure.

6. MatrixGravity

MatrixGravity Member

What do you mean economy?

7. J.P.Clyde

J.P.Clyde Prince of Melancholy Contributor

Actually now a days temps are even asked to have work experience.

edit-

I suggest volunteering somewhere. Animal shelter or something along the lines.

8. MatrixGravity

MatrixGravity Member

That makes sense. Thanks I appreciate it.. Although I am curious, how is it that some people don't even go to college and end up making enough money to own their own house and feed an entire family?

9. Cogito

Some times are better than others. My grandfather didn't complete high school, and he did exactly that - built his own house and became third from the top (behind the two brothers who founded the company) in a multi-site paving materials company.

That was an easier time. There was also the dot com boom in the 1990s. In between there have been times when jobs were plentiful, and times when they were scarce. A year or two ago, jobs were about as scarce as they have been in decades, and they haven't become very much more plentiful since. But there has been some improvments in some professions.

10. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I know your frustration. Before I got the job I have now, I applied to what seemed like every place in town, and I only had one group interview, no other callbacks. I think you need to widen your horizons -- the places I applied to were all retail as well and that's a difficult place to get hired in. Maybe try jobs that Arron suggested instead of retail?

Either way, it's not your fault, especially if you're applying 3 days out of the week. The economy is rough -- not like a few years ago, but still rough -- and it is difficult. But you have to keep faith.

11. heyitsmary

heyitsmary New Member

I'm in a similar position. I've applied to at least one job a day every day for the past 3 months and no luck so far. I'm afraid that I'm overqualified for all the retail jobs (even though that's where most of my job experience has been) because I have a degree, and I'm underqualified for all the jobs that require a degree because I don't have *that* much work experience. I've started volunteering at my church because I know a lot of people there who have gotten jobs through people they know, and I signed up to substitute teach. So I'm hoping if I keep working at it something will come along.

12. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

In the past I was able to get jobs by talking directly to the decision maker. I got some that I was underqualified for, and in tough times some that I was overqualified for.

Fill out the application, or go through whatever other process they require. Then contact the decision maker, whether it is an owner or hiring manager. Tell them "Look, I just applied for X position. I know I'll be viewed as overqualified, but ...." then tell them why they should hire you.

One example, when I first started my own law practice I was looking for a little extra steady income while I built the client base. I applied for a 9 dollar per hour manufacturing job. Then I found out the name of the owner of the company and faxed him a letter telling him about my app, and that I was a damn good worker and his company would be missing out if they didn't hire me. I got a call the next day for an interview, and then got hired.

Not going to work every time, but you have to do something to stand out above the pool of applicants. Company owners and managers often like people who exhibit drive and determination to get the job. They're most likely to take the job seriously and work to keep it.

Just some thoughts. Almost every job I've had since college was some variation of this approach. I got my first job out of college as a Biomedical Scientist at a DOE research lab by sending a letter to the Director of the Lab. Didn't even know if there was an open position. Just said I want to work for you and here are all the reasons you need to hire me.

13. thatguy

thatguy Member

One word, bro: ARMY!

I joined when I was your age, they kicked my ass into shape, gave me food, a bed to sleep in, a whole pile of new friends... and a rifle!

A lot of guys bitch in this line of work, but when you take a step back it's really not that bad. Most of the time I don't do a damn thing all day, I get paid to work out in the mornings and then sit around all day on couches drinking coffee with my buddies. However when we do work, we WORK. If you don't mind switching between two extremes then you should check it out man, best job security you'll find in the galaxy.

This depends, of course, on which country you live in, but from what I understand Canada, the US and Australia operate somewhat the same. Plus, you American boys get all the fancy toys overseas.

1 person likes this.
  14. AfterBroadway

AfterBroadway New Member

Jesus, I hate group interviews. I would definitely recommend the restaurant business. Maybe even try some big chains like Olive Garden or something, if you're desperate. Restaurants are always losing people and rehiring. You should, at the very least, get a dish washing job somewhere.

15. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Matrix, as others have noted, it's not your fault - the national economy is in the crapper thanks to idiotic politicians, so everyone is having a hard time finding a job. It's not just you. And sorry to hear your mom's been harping on you so bad. I'm guessing English is not a language she's strong in (aren't you from Russia originally?), so maybe she doesn't understand that the problem right now is the market? Find some news articles online about unemployment rates, issues that make employers not want to hire, etc and show her those. Maybe seeing the facts will help her understand it's not your fault.

About the lack of college thing, people who hit it big w/out college (I have an uncle like this) typically started a business of their own. It can be done, with common sense and self-discipline: save money until you have enough for setup costs, then run it smart, know some stuff about marketing and whichever industry relates to your business, etc. It's wisest to wait until you've got some real-life experience and would know what you're doing, but you can be young and be an entrepeuneur. You have to know what you're doing though.

The suggestion about the army is a good one.

16. thalorin19

thalorin19 Member

I know how you felt. I scoured this town for jobs and was finally able to get one because a good friend of mine works at a local restaurant and his father owns the place so he was able to get something.

My stepfather has been unemployed for 6 months and has sent...I wanna say like 100-200 resume's. I don't know, I just know it's a lot. All for project manager or superintendent jobs at big construction sites that once had him making six figures before that market crashed and burned.

17. MatrixGravity

MatrixGravity Member

Thanks for your support guys.. Very reassuring.. I'm just.. really lost right now in life. I know that sitting at home is absolutely not the answer, but what other choice do I have? Is there anything that I can do honestly? I'm just going to try and apply at some Supermarkets this week and maybe that may get me a job. I can't help but feel terrible because I'm letting myself waste away like this. What can I do with my spare time? Seriously I have no idea what to do. I want to be doing something constructive with my time rather then sitting around. This is so pitiful..

18. Sundae

Sundae New Member

Keep trying. Finding a job is a FULL time job in itself. The best suggestion is to keep trying everywhere that you can, even do a non-paid internship to get your foot in the door if it's an area where you would like to grow, and last, job fairs.

Dress professionally, have a resume handy, and go in there and meet employers. Many hire on the spot, but you will have to meet their demands. There should be some in your area, many colleges and universities host them.

Much luck.

19. Cogito

And above all, exude confidence. Fake it if you have to.

20. Rennuruof

Rennuruof Member

Check out new car dealerships, many have onsite shops that also wash customer cars. It's not great work, but it's usually full-time. Just have to have a good driving record.

21. Clumsywordsmith

Clumsywordsmith Active Member

Screw retail. I've never been able to get a job there, though all my experience is solely in construction and trades. Any landscapers in your area? If you're not afraid to get your hands dirty, and have a tough enough constitution to handle ten hour days in the summer heat, try talking to some guys there. I know lots of landscapers in my area who are always looking for fresh meat, provided it's hardworking meat. You don't usually need much in the way of experience to wield a shovel. And (usually) you can get paid quite a bit more than you would working the register at an American Eagle.

Seems you are talking to people, which is key, because if anything is true it's that I have never once gotten a job [/i]anywhere[/i] if I did not either speak personally to someone with authority to hire me, or have someone who knew or worked with them previously speak on my behalf.

22. Snoopingaround

Snoopingaround Banned

[​IMG]

Why get a job when you can be like this man?

Don't put so much pressure on yourself, sometimes fate already has something in store for you. You have to take things in life step by step.

23. MatrixGravity

MatrixGravity Member

I feel like I'm going to end up homeless or something. I have grown so discouraged. I know I have so much potential within myself, yet I cant seem to utilize it fully. I can't understand where I'm going wrong. What could I do with my life right now? Surely there has to be more to life then sitting around like this.

24. Snoopingaround

Snoopingaround Banned

Well, actually if you really look carefully, you might find that you spend too much time on non-job hunting activities. If you look at it this way, you only need to eat, sleep, and take care of your hygiene, and everything else is really optional. So, if you are not spending 14 hours a day looking for work, 7 days a week, you can technically say that you are underperforming with your time. Though of course 98 hours a week is unrealistic, you should nonetheless aim for 40 solid hours searching for or being engaged in job-related action, which is also alot but in this economy perhaps necessary to land a job.

25. MatrixGravity

MatrixGravity Member

Damn thats tough work.. I mean I have applied at virtually every store in my area.. I don't know. Maybe I can try to be a receptionist? I heard that position mainly involves using computers and sending emails,etc and it pays well. I could try that..