1. Brazen

Brazen New Member

My First Try at a Novel

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Brazen, Mar 2, 2007.

Okay, bits and pieces for this novel has always been drifting around my mind, but only recently I have gathered my thoughts together and made an organized plot and system of how things run in the story. Is it good or bad?

Backstory of Novel:

A group of aliens, about a million of them, are living on Earth and have been for centuries because of persecutions of their old planet where they used to live. Anyways, they live away from humans in a secret society because they consider humans a divided group of people, and do not wish to have to take sides. So they live down at the very depths of the middle of the Pacific Ocean in a bubble that's invisible to all outsiders. Food is imported from the top of the ocean. The government system is a Ruling Council of 100. Those 100 members are then "ranked." One person has more power than the next. Being number 100 means you're at the very bottom level at council, the person has slightly more power, 98 a little more than 99, etc. Obviously the person at number 1 is in the most enviable position.

The Ruling Council of 100 also carry a book that every alien has to sign when they turn 10. The book holds each individual alien in a bind. For example, in trial, the alien's name can be looked up and their name can be tapped into. It can indicate if that alien is lying or not. If somebody runs away, the book can be an indicator where an alien is and and that alien can be tracked down. It's a very powerful and dangerous object.

What's going on with the aliens:

So that's how the alien world is like. Now, the Ruling Council of 100 is not fond of going out and associating with humans after all these centuries, the excuse being they'd have to learn every single human group's individual customs and learn their "silly" system of language. (The aliens have a way of communicating through instantaneous telepathy.) Some are upset at this, and a group of approx two thousand aliens split from the rest of the aliens. Three aliens from the Ruling Council of 100 were also in on it.

The aliens that split become known as the Mutes.

The Start of the story:

An ordinary human, Lynelle Landry is ignorant to the alien world. Her best friend, Jack, is an alien incognito, part of the Council of 100. She doesn't know that though. Jack is tracked down and spied on unknowingly to him by some of the Mutes, and he's the one keeping the book. Lyn gets possessed to steal the book. After she takes the book for them, many want to just kill her, but one sympathetic Mute named Dumassa (name will most likely get changed) decides to just keep her alive. He knows he can't just let her go, since the Council would be after her once they found out her part to play in stealing the book.

It changes Lyn's life forever. In book one I'm making right now, Lyn is trying and learning to adapt in the new strange alien world and trying to figure out who she can trust and who she can't where people are dying, loyalties are shifting, and the entire book is in a pre-stage of a war. (Not that there is one in the book. That comes a bit later in another book. If I become a good enough writer to be able to continue on and can pull it off really well.)

The book is also in Dumassa's, Jack's, and Miliak's (another character I'm going to introduce, haven't gotten around to mentioning her yet. But yes, she going to be important to the story as well) point of view.

So...what'cha think?

2. Brazen

Brazen New Member

*Bump*

Don't mean to spam or whatever, but is anybody going to tell me if my ideas are good, bad, or what?

*Sob*

3. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Can't really say too much about this plot.
    It looks like a solid idea. No blaring plot holes, nothing that seems to rub the wrong way.
    But theres nothing here that jumps out at me either. Thats not a bad thing, most plot ideas don't reach out and grab a person.
    So post up a bit of it, let us get our teeth into it, and you'll get some more responses. And more useful responses than this this one.

4. The Boy Who Wrote

The Boy Who Wrote New Member

sounds... promising, the first bit had me thinking, "What the hell?" but then you opened and I can tell you have put some time into it, sounds promising but thats all from me.

5. Brazen

Brazen New Member

Yay. Yeah, I probably did sound ranting. Wanted to make sure I had a plausible enough backstory. I'd go more in depth about the story itself, but I'm going to try to write it out more, since half the story I don't know what I'm going to write.

Thanks guys. :)

6. xArix

xArix New Member

Reminds me of Roswell.:p