1. lipton_lover

lipton_lover New Member

'special' musical feeling? *small sexual reference*

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by lipton_lover, Feb 22, 2009.

I'm looking for anyone else who's had the same feeling as I did yesterday, because I really need help describing it. I play piano, (I've been playing for almost 10 years) and my latest/favorite piece is my own modified composition of The Giving by Michael W. Smith, on the album Freedom. I play it over and over again, that's how much I love it. It's one song where I can really put emotion into it, especially in the middle. If you listen to the song, you'll know where the part is, it's the most dramatic. I also have a great ending.
    Anyways... I was playing with my fellow students at a nursing home yesterday. The piano there is old and out of tune, which wasn't so great for my first song (Toccata in D minor) but it really brought out the best in The Giving. When I got the the passionate dramatic middle, I played it exceptionally well. Not only that, I felt the most amazing thing ever. The trouble is, I have NO clue how to describe it. The closest thing I can compare it to is an orgasm, but even that doesn't do it justice. I'm posting this hoping the someone else who's had the same experience can help me find the words to describe it, preferably without sexual references.
    Thanks, Nate

2. Paul_V

Paul_V New Member

I believe that what you're looking for is something similar to "sublime feeling of extreme accomplishment." The key here is the word "sublime," or any of its synonyms, since it separates this otherwise ordinary feeling of success or accomplishment from the rest. I believe that it could be compared to something akin to victory, where you accomplish something that you didn't think it was possible.

Or, if you want to go towards the religious side, you can relate it to "being enlightened" or "communing with the divine," both of which have a connotation of using a medium (in this case, music) to contact a higher power. However, I think that the words you're looking for can be found in any thesaurus: Sublime, divine, heartwrenching, etc. Just read some books describing religious experiences and you'll get a good idea.

On a personal note, that melody is one of my favourites. I wish I could ever be that good with the piano. God, I haven't played a song in ages...

3. Atari

Atari Active Member

Sublime sense of euphoria, then?
    Euphoria, I think, is a strong word.

4. lipton_lover

lipton_lover New Member

Thanks, but I don't think any of those capture what I felt. I'll play with sublime and euphoria, but at first glance I'd discard them. They're strong enough, but not the right feeling.
    Just to clarify, I'm not looking for a comparison to another experience, that wouldn't really help. I need to know HOW to describe something like this.
    Nate

5. Paul_V

Paul_V New Member

Ummmmm... use a noun, preceeded by an adjective? Try to match both the noun and the adjective to the feeling that the experience evoked? I'm really not sure what you're asking here.

6. Atari

Atari Active Member

We have to know what it is to be able to describe it.

The internet word would be 'orgasmic,' but you have dismissed that as too explicit. (And I agree)

Let's try some adjectives and such:

Amazing
    Incredible
    Wonderful
    Stupendous
    Magnificent
    Epic
    Heroic
    Insurmountable
    Awesome
    Fabulous
    Glorious
    Divine
    Unmitigated (something)
    Pleasant
    Sensational
    Compelling
    Inspiring
    Terrific
    Great
    Brilliant
    Sublime

Filled with awe, or wonder.
    Aghast? Delighted.

Mix things up, maybe:

Unmitigated sublimity.

Breathtaking in its divinity?

Take your pick.

7. lipton_lover

lipton_lover New Member

First i'll tell you how I feel now, that should help. I think descriptions, especially of the unusual, is my strong point. Yet I'm scared stiff that there's just no way to adequately describe this, and I'll miss out on the greatest opportunity ever.

Atari your list is a helpful start at least. It helps me to hear suggestions from others rather than for me to find the words. They sound better now that you suggest them.

Even though you guys have already been kinda helpful, I really think I need someone who's experienced this before, and I get the feeling none of you have.
    Nate

8. Atari

Atari Active Member

I think I have, at least to some small degree.

I was animating, once, and I was doing so well, and filled with such euphoria, that I could only compare it, as you have said, to having an orgasm.
    I didn't try to describe it any other way, and my sister got a good laugh.

But the sheer exhilaration I felt was just overwhelming to the point that it was almost like being in a stasis of sheer, insurmountable joy.

But like I said, if it was anything like what you felt, it was probably a weak version, because I never felt the urge to describe it.

9. lipton_lover

lipton_lover New Member

I think there'd be a distinction between our experiences, or at least something to clarify. I'm pretty sure I wasnt simply feeling a sense of perfect accomplishment. That'd be easy to describe. But you may have. I'm not really an artist in any form though I've dappled in all forms, but I wouldn't expect what I felt out of it, though I wouldn't really know I guess.

10. Arrow

Arrow New Member

What you seem to describe is referred to as the liminal state. It's a pyschological threshold often experienced by people going into a trance (trans-ition) between "the here and the there."

As a performer of dance, music, and theatre, I have had this transformative experience on only a couple of ocassions (and I've performed for over 25 years). It's as if you are aware of yourself in the performance but somehow you've transcended space/time. I believe the "orgasmic" or joyous feeling has more to do with the losing of oneself in the moment, in the performance. Staddling consciousness and Otherness. You are lucky to have had this happen, IMO.

Words are hard to capture the feeling, that moment. Good luck.

11. lipton_lover

lipton_lover New Member

Thanks for the insight :)
    I don't THINK it was an out of body experience, I think that's what you're saying. I just had one small insight though. During the feeling it was like I would expect to be. Like I was on the very crest of a wave. I felt like if I thought about what I was doing, I would lose it. Unfortunately that's only part of the feeling, but it's a start.
    Nate

12. Dcoin

Dcoin New Member

You were in what athletes refer to as "in the zone".

As for describing your feelings, some are not meant to be put into words. They are meant to become part of you. Only by internalizing them can you later incorporate them into your writing.

13. architectus

architectus Banned

I know the feeling. There are no words to properly get someone else to feel or understand it. The best you can do is try to produce a sense to the reader they can relate to, which most will not be able to relate to this.

I have had it playing doumbek, piano (Fir Elise), and guitar. I only assume we had the same experience, but unless I can touch you and make you feel what I felt, I cannot be sure it is the same.

Have you considered metaphor and simile?

Here is an example of what I mean that I wrote quickly.

The calm before the storm. The build up of uncontrollable, raw emotions that seemed to have been tangled up for centuries just waiting to be released . . . and now . . . she could hold back no longer . . . and NOW the tangled up feelings grew tighter, tighter still, an overwhelming saturation of feelings seized her body and mind. And when she thought she couldn't handle it any longer, she curled he toes, gripped the bed sheets, arched her back, rolled her eyes . . . and released, like wonderful colors, tantalizing sounds, the most natural and beautiful sensation in the world. She breathed out hard, collapsed her arched back against the bed. Exhausted, she smiled. She glowed.

So a quick example could be:

He sat playing the piano and reached the climax of the song, the unforgettable melody. Would he ever achieve this sound again? It was beyond words, almost beyond the comprehension of his ears, but his soul listened. His soul moved with the notes. His body trembled. His mind numbed. No, it did not numb. Rather it was overly acute, aware, so utterly focused on the music that caused his soul to dance, he seemed to be out of body, in another world, for the world had disappeared. Just he and the music remained.

14. lipton_lover

lipton_lover New Member

Actually last night I made that connection too. I remember a book I read that was called the zone I think, and it described it pretty well.

Thanks architectus, that really helped :) you should be writing this yourself.
    Anyways, I'm going to attempt it now, whether it's impossible or not.
    Nate

15. vlwood

vlwood New Member

I think what you actually felt was clarity. Nothing is more wonderful than a tap on the shoulder by clarity. Sometimes - it can feel like you were born - to do the one thing your doing right at a certain moment - and I belive that is what you felt - and my guess is - something in the song - touched the people there - and perhaps clarity rang their bell too.

I'm new to this forum - but I love to write and I absolutely love reading the thoughts of other writers

16. lipton_lover

lipton_lover New Member

Hmmm... Clarity doesn't really make sense to me, do you mind clarifying? :D
    Anywho, I posted the first draft in general fiction if anyone interested.

17. Yitz

Yitz New Member

I've felt it a few times as a guitar player.
    And I understand what you mean...it's very difficult to describe.
    Perhaps a moment of pure passion and skill intermingling to the point where
    the music is part of who you are at that moment.
    Where, for that one moment, the music utterly defines how you feel and who you are.
    That's how I feel in those fleeting moments.