1. bradbradallen

bradbradallen New Member

How to write a physical transformation?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by bradbradallen, Feb 1, 2012.

Hello everyone,

I'm currently working on a story where I'm having a human physically transform into a dragon-humanoid hybrid-type creature. That being said, I'm not sure how exactly I should be writing this (i.e. what details are / are not important, how long I should draw out the transformation, etc.)

Have any of you ever written something like this? Have any advice about it?

Thanks in advance!

2. MegTheLedge

MegTheLedge New Member

Personally, I'd like as much detail as you could possibly get into this scene. It sounds like a really cool transformation. I say take as much space as you need to write it. Seriously? I'm interested. :)

3. picklzzz

picklzzz New Member

Think of what your character looks like now and how he'll look after and what steps will it take to get there. I did a story where a girl was turning into an alligator (posted somewhere in Short Stories on this forum) and although I didn't show her transformation, I had her describe her symptoms to her therapist. I did some research on alligators and main physical characteristics. What you're doing is different. Think of how you'd feel and try to describe that. Think eyes, tail, skin, whatever, and perhaps brainstorm a list for each change words that would describe it. That may help you to shape it. Try a few versions and see which you like best. Also, think of the speed at which the transformation will take place. That could make a big difference. Also, where is the character when the change occurs? Please post when you're finished! I'd love to see it!