1. tonten

tonten Active Member

Include mention of sequel in a query letter?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by tonten, Mar 22, 2010.

I have written a manuscript that can be a stand alone book without a sequel or with a sequel. I do have plans for a 6 book series.

When querying for an agent, in your first query letter, should you mention this? Or should I only trying to be pitching my first book to the agent and then "AFTER" he/she requests to see your full manscript and reads it, then mention it?

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Only pitch your first book to the agent. Only mention sequel potential after they have expressed interest.

3. tonten

tonten Active Member

I've been reading on query letters and a lot of the sources says to mention a sequel if you are planning it to be a sequel, but they never said why.

I just thought logically, it doesn't make sense. I thought the same as you. Wouldn't you want to get the agent to express interest and/or read your book first before mentioning a sequel?

4. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Exactly. Publishers (and thus an agent) wouldn't want to take the risk of buying a series from an unpublished author, with no guarantee of success. You'll attract more interest with a novel that will stand alone, and this will be even more so if you don't mention any sequel plans. An agent will be able to see when they read it whether there is potential for a sequel, so I really don't see that it needs mentioning.

But maybe I'm wrong. After all, I'm not a published novellist either.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you don't have to be a published novelist to use common sense [which you always do, banz!] and to notice what the majority of agents and editors who speak out about this issue have said...

and you're right! [per my own common sense and knowledge of what most agents/editors say about it ;-) ]