1. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

Dignity

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CDRW, Sep 24, 2009.

We're all atypical people here (face it, we're downright weird) and I think that a good number of us wouldn't feel the slightest bit of hesitation getting down it the dirt if there was something interesting there.

We do undignified things, but everyone has a sense of dignity and precepts we don't violate in order to maintain it. What makes up yours? I want to know everything ranging from "don't abandon a friend in need," all the way down to "making sure you always have a clean pair of socks,"

2. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

I sacrifice my dignity quite often. I get filthy building sandcastles at the beach. I climb any available tree. I ride in shopping carts.

I think, though, when it comes to dignity...if I find mine violated, my defense is to insult myself before the other person can insult me further. Does that make any sense?

One thing I will not compromise on, though, is personal hygiene. I can't stand smelling bad, and I can't stand other people perceiving me as stinky. I cannot function at all if I have not showered, and I wash my hands more than any normal person.

Also,

[​IMG]

(xkcd.com)

3. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

A common defense mechanism. I do it too.

On the bright side, at least we never look arrogant. :)

4. Carmina

Carmina Contributor Contributor

What is this dignity of which you speak? I am currently doing a show where I pratfall over someone's foot, spill water on a fellow actor, then get beaten with turkey leg. Dignity?

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

at my age, i don't do 'dignified' any more... what you sees is what you gets... and if you don't like it, you can look at somethin' else... ;-)

6. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Dignity.

Strange concept. It has its roots in our ideals, both personal and communal.

Ideals are by their nature difficult to live up to. I can tell you that as I think back right now, there is more than one significant ‘bump in the road’ that brings that yucky feeling in your diaphragm of embarrassment or shame. In those moments, when I made those decisions, when I did those things, my dignity was no where to be seen.

I payed heavily for some of those decisions. Very heavily.

One of the most costly prices that was exacted was my confidence in my self definition. I’m an amorphous personality by nature, but I had believed that some things were pretty stable.

And yet there I was. Making choices that defied explanation.

Some people might say that this is the way we learn in life, but looking back, some of those lessons could have been learned in other less costly ways.

Dignity.

Strange concept.

7. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

My dignity is often challenged by my own actions. I have found that the things I once held so important in my younger years, just don't matter as much to me now. Such as never going outside of the house in my PJ's and robe, or walking outside in my bare feet....I never did follow that one. But with age I am learning that it's the greater things in life which bring about a total sense of dignity
    You just have to remember, self respect and good judgement go far in preserving one's own dignity. :)

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Dignity is the expectation of respect by others, and maintaining an appearance to promote such respect.

Pretty self-serving, yes?

What I care most about is if the face that looks back at me from my mirror every morning can respect me. (And to stave off the comments of the wise-assed, I am alone in the room where the mirror is)