Tags:
  1. Algoma

Algoma New Member

Online or pound the pavement?

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by Algoma, Nov 12, 2017.

So let's say your debut SF novel is published. Now you have to promote it. You're not a celeb and no one knows who you are. You have no online following to speak of. Not a lot of money, either.

In that case, does the publisher simply give you a few pointers on how to promote it and "good luck with that", or it more "visit here, speak there" physical-location kind of promotion? Does it vary by publisher?

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I think it does vary by publisher, but unless they expect your book to be a sensation I don't think many of them are setting up many in-person promo opportunities.

Most of the ones I've worked with have departments that arrange guest blogs, interviews, etc. on-line. The bigger publishers have extensive in-house promo opportunities as well (like Penguin sends out a full-colour flyer to all the bookstores in the distribution area, promoting all their new books that month. They also have sales staff working directly with book stores).

But I've never had a publisher set up an in-person promo situation. They do offer support at the big industry events (like, if I went to a major romance convention they'd have a publisher table set up there and they'd provide me promo images, but I'd be expected to use the promo images myself to create "swag" or whatever else I wanted to try.)

3. Kwills79

Kwills79 Member

I'm sure it depends on the publisher, but they often provide a (large) packet of marketing materials and steps they want you to take to hype the book before it comes out. Also, you may have to pay for some of that yourself, but again, I'm sure it varies depending on the publisher, type of book, audience, etc.

4. TaylorkoleDOTcom

TaylorkoleDOTcom Member

Algoma, No?

5. TaylorkoleDOTcom

TaylorkoleDOTcom Member

Almost, Mi?

6. TaylorkoleDOTcom

TaylorkoleDOTcom Member

I recently spoke to a successful author whose stories, for me, are hard to follow, I asked him the best advice for building fans.
    He said "face to face." Contact anyone and everyone, set meet and greets. If they like you they buy, if they meet you, they stay as fans.