Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JadeLiCat

JadeLiCat New Member

Reporting Someone to the Administrators

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by JadeLiCat, Jan 13, 2012.

I apologize for the very newbie like question I'm about to ask, but what do I do if I want report someone to the administrators? There's been someone harrassesing me on a topic I posted up awhile ago and while I have asked her politely to back down, she continues to be snarky and rather rude. I know someone can't be kicked off for that, but I'd at least like to hope the admins would at least give her a slap on the wrist.

2. Alex W

Alex W New Member

I'd suggest just leaving it there really, clearly the person wasn't happy but it's a very tame thing to need a warning for. Just carry on and perhaps next time try not to use the word 'madness' too broadly? ;)

I can only presume the person not best pleased with you had dealt with someone mentally ill before in some manner and would prefer actual diagnosis to just 'mad'. I realise you meant well by the way. Oh, and that offer for being PM'd is still open if you feel the need :)

3. JadeLiCat

JadeLiCat New Member

You do make a valid point, it just drives me crazy to see people treat others that way because of something silly. I've seen far too many trolls and bullies on forums and I guess I just wanted to show her that I wasn't afraid of stand up to her. Also, I had thought I had been clear when I mentioned I wasn't trying to discuss mental illness. If I had been looking for a particular type, such as bipolar disorder, I would have done my research on that particular condition. Maybe in the first post, I didn't explain it clearly enough like I thought I had.

4. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

If you want to to report any post on the forums, click the little exclamation-mark-in-a-triangle button below the post.

And if you're unsure about it, report it. You won't get into trouble for reporting, and I'd rather know than not know about something that's going on.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i've checked out that thread and read all of that poster's posts and, while i do agree she was being rather snide in some of her responses, i don't see that any of it rises to the level of rude behavior that would call for reporting her...

6. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

I see nothing rude in my comments, considering the offensive nature of the terminology, which continued to be used even after being advised that it was considered offensive by the mentally ill. Maybe I should be the one reporting to the mods.

7. JadeLiCat

JadeLiCat New Member

I'd still like to see at least something done, at the very least a warning to her. If she wants to make a point, she can do so without being as snide as she is. The fact that she's on here is just proof that she's now watching my every post just to see what I have to say. She needs to back down and let it go. I came to the forums to ask for help, not to be harassed. I've already added her to my ignore list, but as I mentioned before, I still want one of the admins to at least talk to her or something.

8. shadowwalker

"She" is on here because "she" is a member of the forum and checks unread posts when "she" visits - and "she" is being discussed in public. "She" is quite sure you could figure how to contact the mods privately if you had wanted to.

9. Songbird21

Songbird21 Member

Truthfully neither of you have any ground to stand on for reporting to the mods. Neither of you used any particularly violent wording or major swearing. Jade made the wrong call by making this post, yes (Which I have already talked to her about), but this whole thing could have been avoided if you'd been more polite to begin with.

10. JadeLiCat

JadeLiCat New Member

Songbird is right, I shouldn't have posted this particular topic to begin with.

11. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

The problem here is that the both of you feel like the victim, and react as such. If you wish to add JadeLiCat or anyone else to your Ignore list so you don't see the posts then you can do so, because you are not going to change colloquialisms on an internet forum like this, especially when you are clearly impassioned.

Now shadowwalker, I sympathize. I really do, but there is no point in continuing this little spat any longer. I can see this quickly turning to petty personal insults, and if that happens then then I'll report the both of you.

12. shadowwalker

I do not feel the victim. And I had no intention of continuing this at all until this post came up - and even then I refrained from responding for quite some time. I'm sorry that this has blown up the way it has, but I am not at all sorry for making my disgust obvious. I am finished with this if everyone else is.

13. the1

the1 Active Member

I don't understand people who get upset on the internet.

14. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

Oftentimes on the internet, we encounter someone who annoys us with their ignorance, entitlement, passive-agrgressive remarks etc. Some people are trolls, some are bullies and some are simply upset.
    At some point you need to ask yourself: "Is there anything, any objective evidence at all, that I could present to this person in order for them to change their mind?" If the answer is "no" (and in this situation I think that is the case) then the most sensible thing is to leave it.
    If you feel strongly enough, you can put them on an ignore list, it really is quite reassuring to know you don't have to keep reading the posts designed to upset you. If not, maybe wait and see if you will agree with them on some other topic.
    I think only if someone is making your life hell that you should report them, otherwise, it is probably best left alone.

In that, I am not saying you should let anyone drown your post with off-topic issues. So if you feel that you simply couldn't get good enough feedback due to this person's repeated off-topic posts, then maybe post the topic again, or contact the mods first and ask for advice on the best approach (as in, what can you do to try to keep the post on track rather than letting it deteriorate like this).

15. AmsterdamAssassin

AmsterdamAssassin Active Member

They must be mad! ;)

16. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I think this thread has run its course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.