1. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Going to confession

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by deadrats, Nov 22, 2018.

I need some help because I'm pretty stuck on this one. I have a Catholic school setting going on. The kids have to go to confession. Would they be waiting in a "confessional line" or a "confession line?" Thanks in advance to anyone able to help with this.

2. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I mean like...

"The confessional line was long."

or

"The confessional line was long"

I'm not sure which of to go with. I would like to avoid adding any words. Which one of these is correct? Thanks again.

3. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

How about,
    "The line to confession was long."

X Equestris likes this.
  4. DeeDee

DeeDee Contributor Contributor

confession line = a line where people wait to reach the place where confessions are done
    confessional line = a line in which people perform a confession while they wait :rolleyes:

deadrats likes this.
  5. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

"Confession was every Monday. The bell would ring, the nuns would count us, and the school's student body would be ushered from their classrooms towards the chapel. Single file. Any thought of dissent preemptively quelled by the empyreal gaze of our pedagogical penguins as we marched like ants unload our burdens. All things an omniscient god would already know, of course, so I was never quite certain whether this was was for God's glory or the priests. White collars calling the kettles black and delivering the ultimatum of Hell or Hail Marys. Lying, too, was a sin, but given the circumstances, I figured God would be more forgiving than the church..."

CerebralEcstasy likes this.