1. lameri

lameri New Member

Capitalize after em dash

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by lameri, Dec 19, 2011.

When do you do it? I know you don't capitalize when the em dash has the function of a parenthetical (She said--how could she?--she wouldn't help.) but what about when there is just one em dash and what follows is a complete sentence. I have this one:
    --
    But something new, something unknown and greater than their fears emerged--They were together on this ride, and this was the one ride they would never get off of.
    --
    Thanks.

2. Raki

Raki New Member

As far as I know, you do not capitalize it. All of my reference books suggest you do not.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you don't... or at least shouldn't, unless the word would be capitalized regardless...

sorry, craig, but this editor would not let you get away with that incorrect capitalization... and neither would any of my fellow professional editors, if they were wide awake... the example you gave should be separate sentences...

4. Raki

Raki New Member

Now that you mention it Craig, I have seen scenarios where something occurs like what you're getting at. Like with dialogue for example:

"What I wanted to say was--"

She pinned him against the wall with her hand pressed against his throat.

"--he's back."

Of course, this could also be written as, "What I wanted to say was"--she pinned him against the wall with her hand pressed against his throat--"he's back." Not the best of an example, but it's the only exception I can think of.