1. junior6556

junior6556 New Member

I've never wrote anything before but I want to try. I have the story in mind

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by junior6556, Apr 25, 2020.

Hello everyone! Im 25 years old, im brazilian and i've never really wrote any story in my life. I want to write a drama about massive mental breakdowns, depression and addiction. I've already created the two main characters: Gregory (29 years old) and Adam (35 years old). They are a couple, been married for 1 year. Gregory its the sweet, unstable, compulsive archetype and Adam its stable, organized and stubborn. Well, Gregory its the real protagonist here, he's the one who will sink into mental collapse. I've 3 chapters in mind, I dont know how I want it to end, all I know its where I want it to get, wich is Greg's total ruin.

Here's what I have in mind:

Chapter 1: They start with a perfect life. Everything its going beautiful in their lifes after 1 year of marriage. The dialogs are happy, soft and lovable. It feels like a fairy tale.

Chapter 2: Something bad happens. I haven't decided what it will be. I've thought something like a domino effect, and Gregory eventually can't handle it. He starts to break and fall.

Chapter 3: Here is the darkest part. The protagonist will be completely into the abyss. I've thought about things like drugs, alcohol, hallucination, self mutilation, etc. I want it to be REALLY disturbing.

Any ideas? Inspirations? This is my first time ever and I feel kinda locked. Should it be first or third person? Thank you all for reading :)

2. RBan

RBan New Member

Very good plot you got there. I don't read much of drama, but I would suggest you to write the first three chapters in full. Once you finish the first three chapters, the next part of the story will gradually come up. It is very hard to plot the entire script of a novel in one go and then write it. Either way, you are going to change a lot of things even if you plan out everything.
    Also, add some more characters, like someone who plays a small but important role in the story arc, like a neighbor who suggests using alcohol/sleeping pills to subdue the protagonist. Or maybe, their resident doctor, giving wrong medicines (I have seen doctors having no idea about mental illness and prescribing wrong medicines).
    Also, I like stories in third person. First person stories are great too, but everything cannot be described in detail in first person narrative.
    P.S. : I have written many many stories since my college days, but after 2-3 chapters, I left them. That is why I joined this forumI suggest you to start writing. Many things will change when you reach chapter three. Goodluck!

ruskaya, matwoolf and dbesim like this.
  3. faustian90

faustian90 Member

Chapter two could be the death of a kid they adopted, or the dissolution of a business they founded together.

4. RBan

RBan New Member

Good plot, but you said you wanted it to be really grim. So, I would like to add that don’t just let the kid die in some simple road accident or something, plot up something, maybe like a jealous relative killed the kid, or someone from their college, maybe an ex-lover did something to destroy their business reputation.
    All of this makes for an interesting start.
    Maybe Gregory will become mentally unstable, while Adam keeps running to support the house and also find the culprit.
    I think I am moving away from your plot point. It is now starting to sound more like a thriller :D
    Anyway, keep thinking.

dbesim likes this.
  5. faustian90

faustian90 Member

I’m not OP lol

6. RBan

RBan New Member

Oh, sorry. Did not followed the name! My mistake.

faustian90 likes this.