Tags:
  1. Reximus

Reximus New Member

Novel Novel Title, whats appropiate?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Reximus, Aug 9, 2010.

Dumb question. I apologize in advance for it and the bad grammar, I am only 17 XD.

I have been designing my first novel for a long time. At one point I thought up a large subplot that included another large group of antagonists. However I figured that it's current plot already had enough antagonists and could already take up enough space to fill the whole novel. So I decided that if it was ever to be published, this next plot would be the next novel, or its sequels plot.

I am a little embarrassed from the amateurish question so I am changing the name of the novel, if it were ever comes out. However keeping it in the same context. This way the answer would still help me. (Shy I know XD)

So the first novel would be lets say Chronicles of Arabia. The antagonists lets say are the Last Battalion.

The second novel would be Chronicles of Arabia The Dark Crusaders. Since the antagonist group are the Dark Crusaders.

I also know that the second part of a title isn't always named after the antagonists. However considering all the elements in the story, it fits the best, so please don't suggest I try something else. Thanks hehe.

Now down to the real question. It occurred to me if I name the second novel with "The Dark Crusaders" in it, since it has that as the antagonist organization. Then shouldn't the first novel be Chronicles of Arabia The Last Battalion. Instead of just Chronicles of Arabia? So which is most appropriate name for the first novel? Chronicles of Arabia, or Chronicles of Arabia The Last Battalion?

Thanks for reading and I appreciate all advice. : )

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I have a Chronicles title for my series, but my individual novels are named say ANGUS!!! and Where's Bea?

EDIT: Amd what Manay said.

3. Manav

Manav New Member

Don't sweat on it, the publishers will be more than happy to do that part of the work for you if they decide to publish your novel. Check the threads for similar posts. Naming a novel has been covered.

4. Reximus

Reximus New Member

I am still in high school, so it might be a few years before I try to get this published. I would like to decide on a name so I can tell people what it's called. So I don't want to just wait for what the publisher has to say XD. Thanks though hehe.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You should at least not worry about it until your book is finished. Titles often come from a significant moment or comment by the characters.

I wouldn't plan on letting the publsher choose a title for you, but be prepared for a publisher to override your choice (or strongly suggest a change).

I would not get too invested in it being a series either. Each book must stand on its own. Your chances of selling a series, as an unknown writer, are close to nil. It will be hard enough to sell that first novel.

6. Reximus

Reximus New Member

I already have the wording of the name. Keeping an optimistic attitude, assuming eventually there might be a sequel. I just need to know whether or not the first novel should have the second part of the title. Chronicles of Arabia or Chronicles of Arabia The Last Battalion, as in the Last Batallion antagonists. Keeping in mind that the sequel would be Chronicles of Arabia The Dark Crusaders, as in the Dark Crusader antagonists. That's all I need to know. It is just that I don't know what is the appropriate title choice and I think some people here would know because they are more experienced with novel titles. Whether to have the second part of the title for the first title or not is my question XD.

7. InkDream

InkDream Active Member

Don't get too attached to the title. A lot of times publishers will want to change the title to make the novel more "sellable."

8. Aconite

Aconite New Member

No offense meant: Enduring Love to me sounds like a mass-market romance novel title. As someone who doesn't read that genre, it would turn me off. Enduring <Something else less obvious> or even just Enduring (although that implies maybe more hardship than you want) seem to me to be stronger titles without changing the thrust of your idea too much.

9. Movie_Pat

Movie_Pat New Member

If only Ian McEwan listened, maybe he'd have had a successful writing career. :rolleyes:

10. Aconite

Aconite New Member

Hah, did I just get punked by a previous post suggesting a title, now deleted? Oh well! Blame it on the officemate who reads Harlequin Romances all the time. Sometimes out loud. :eek: :(

(In my defense, it's not necessarily the most intriguing title...)

11. Movie_Pat

Movie_Pat New Member

Haha, yes yet and run!

I think Enduring Love works, because it makes love sounds like something that needs to be 'endured' doesn't make it soppy at all. Enduring means 'forever', but has negative connotations which make it interesting.

I like it when titles come more from the theme than the plot. I'm still massively undecided on the title of the novel I am writing. I know it doesn't need a final title yet, but it feels like having a child without a name. It deserves one, even if it is only a working title.

12. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

Often, the first book in a series doesn't have a subtitle, probably because the appearance of sequels wasn't certain at the time of publishing.

Example:
    (book 1) "Cheese Man"
    (book 2) "Cheese Man - Origins"
    (book 3) "Cheese Man - Requiem"

I think you get the picture :)

13. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

This may be somewhat true, but it can be a little depressing for a writer (at least one like me) to be working on a novel that has no title. An anonymous book, as it were. When someone asks "What are you working on?", I'd rather not have to say "Well, it's just a bunch of words right now". I want to be able to answer "I'm working on The Doomsday Robots!" or whatever it's called.

Also, working titles can actually affect the way you approach your writing. You'd adopt a different tone if you were working on The Warriors of Baragon from the one you'd use if you were working on The Snot-Nosed Dopes. Titles can be powerful, and it isn't out of line to want to have at least a working title before one sets pen to paper.

14. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Then give it a "working title."

If your friends can't handle the fact that a title is provisional until it's in the publication pipeline, then maybe you shouldn't even be sharing with them.

15. Manav

Manav New Member

Yes, it can.

Doesn't sound like you are looking for a working title.