1. Want2Write

Want2Write Member

Stuck with twists

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Want2Write, Mar 23, 2013.

Hi friends

I have started writing a short novel but got stuck because of the following::

Its a story of a man working for a big corporation. He faces a challenge in his work which would make him rich. But unfortunately he gets into some issue which would shatter all his dreams. The main story starts then on how he uses his intelligence in untangling the issue and wins the challenge. I thought of many twists which seemed so briliant then, but its been a while since i started the story, the twists seems ridiculous. the story wasnt that gud without those brilliant twists. But i have done 4 chapters. I liked it so far and the characters i have developed are going to attract the readers. I dont want to shelve it. I am confused if i go about writing with the same twists?? Could it be possible to make the twists intresting with writing??? Any suggestions???

2. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

What's stopping you from coming up with better, new twists, or adapting your old ones into better ones? What makes the old twists so "ridiculous" as you say? Don't be too harsh on yourself - write it and see. Sometimes the story takes a life of its own and you'll find new ideas and end up with a twist you didn't even know you had :) but you won't discover that if you don't give it a go and write it. There's nothing to lose. Write it, see if it works, it's worth it if you love it enough.

Want2Write likes this.
  3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Twists are not obligatory, and they can be ridiculous if poorly done.

If you don't have a solid twist (reversal) for your story, rely on good storytelling and interesting characters to carry it.

4. Alesia

Alesia Pen names: AJ Connor, Carey Connolly Contributor

Just write it up and see how it goes. There's plenty of times I have added a twist (my current work is one) and it didn't work so I went back and rewrote it with no twist or a better way of pulling it off.