Tags:
  1. Den

Den New Member

The POV

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Den, Mar 16, 2009.

Well, I'm an aspiring writer, and the thing that's bugged me is the POV I've used. I'm not exactly counting the work that I have on here, but the work no one has really seen.

See, I'm not exactly looking through one character, I'm looking through quite a few. It's omniscient, obviously. But what bugs me is that my one character is truly the main 'subject', but is not looked through quite often (we're not watching him grow like Harry Potter). We're more looking at him. We usually watch the struggles of characters, while, instead, we're watching someone generally in control (do not get me wrong, there is struggle, and there is a plot. He's just not the typically helpless character).

Now, we see directly through his eyes just as much as we do the other characters, we even hear his thoughts. In fact, we will often see the thoughts of just about any character (If I find it illustrates a purpose). What I'm uncomfortable with is if this is something no one will take to lightly.

It's almost like a manga (POV is very different). But it's almost like the ending of every Star Wars movie; we see quite a few battles happening at one time.

My question to you is, "Will this very omniscient POV look too strange and throw the reader off? After all, such an extended outlook is not often used, as far as I know. I extend very far into the minds and views of others. It almost seems at times that this story extends to many more people than just a small group, much like the TV show LOST."

*I'm probably throwing this way out of proportion.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Check out this article, paying particular attention to what I call a popcorn POV: What's Your Point (of View)?

It's strange - I haven't had to discuss popcorn POV overe a period of a couple months, but then in the last couple days it has come up several times.

3. Den

Den New Member

That helped, Cogito. I didn't expect it to either. But I'm a pessimist, so.

I'll going to peruse the forum and see what I can learn. I've been teaching myself writing, and honestly, I'm a bad teacher.