1. Audiman

Audiman New Member

Autobiography ghosting

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Audiman, Sep 27, 2012.

Hello, folks. I'm new here and looking for some advice, please.

If I wanted to ghostwrite an autobiography of a famous sports star, where would I start? I would add that I have someone in mind. I have loose connections with this guy, as I write news reports about him on a fan website. I've followed his career closely and have appeared as a pundit on the radio many times to talk about him.

It's also important to state that this sports star isn't at the end of his career yet and I don't even have an idea of whether he's considering a book. Just thought it made sense to get in early.

So, do I speak to his management company? Get an agent?

I'm a freelance copywriter by trade.

Thanks in advance.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you'll have to get him to agree to let you write it first... can't get an agent till you have that sewn up...

so, either get to him directly, if you can, or contact his manager/agent...

3. robertpri007

robertpri007 New Member

This could be tricky. If you claim that it's an "autobiography" then you certainly need his permission. I suspect he will say no. Why would he agree, even if it's perfectly accurate? Why allow you to make any money from his name? He could write him himself. Perhaps you could share? Approach it that way. Jointly.

Of course we see exposes and stories about famous people all the time, and based on the dirt, one doubts the writer had permission.

But saying it's an autobiography complicates this enormously.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you can't 'ghostwrite' anything unless you're doing if for the person, being paid by him/her to do so...

doing so w/o working for hire isn't 'ghostwriting'... it's both an actionable and a criminal offense... you'd be committing fraud to write a book pretending to be the person whose autobio it is... and you could be sued for all you'll ever own...

5. Audiman

Audiman New Member

With his agreement! Sorry, I should have made that more obvious!