1. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Share a Random/Interesting Fact about your Story/Stories

Discussion in 'Word games' started by Link the Writer, Nov 1, 2016.

Here's a little writing prompt I thought I'd share with you all:

Tell us a few random/interesting facts about your story/stories. Hopefully this'll get the creative juices flowing. :D Here are some of mine:

Fantasy
    -> High heels are outlawed due to an edict passed by a queen centuries ago after she suffered a severe ankle injury when she tumbled down a flight of stairs on her fancy high heels.

-> Devonians, the cat-folk in my story regularly groom themselves and others with a specialized brush. Their horns are used for both combat and attracting their female kind via tattoos applied on it.

Sci-Fi
    -> Helen Chert, the protagonist from my sci-fi story, loves to read fantasy books geared to teenagers. And yes, she's a fully-grown adult woman in her late-30s/early-40s.

-> Her academy, though stationed/based in the Scottish Republic, is actually opened to anyone who wants to join, be it from around the world or off-planet. Because of that, her ship is very diverse.

Historical Mystery
    -> Amos Garnier, my blind protagonist from my Colonial Mystery, can sing fairly well. Someone once told him that in another life, he would be in the choir. He's also muscular for his age. He suspects he's left-handed because he always uses his cane in his right, leaving the left free.

And here were the random facts from my story/stories. Now share yours!

2. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Sci-Fi:

Prostitution is banned on Terra(2100s), but legal on Mars.
    Marckus's pistol (.50 Desert Eagle 10 barrel) is an antique.
    Graxis is creeped out by the taught skin angular facial features of the Uldivarions.
    When Uldivarions get drunk they are much more relaxed and quite humorous.
    There is a civilian science facility on Helene, which is a sub moon in the Saturn System.
    Uldivarion Armor (war-frames) Light-Heavy class only have two manipulate-able arms, despite the species having 4. (all Assault class lack arms).
    The Confederation is the only faction to have created a Titan class Armor and it has manipulate-able arms is 30m tall, and has a small living area with basic facilities and an armory for a 3 man crew.

3. halisme

halisme Contributor Contributor

Fantasy:

There are only eight enchanted objects in the world. Otherwise, there is no other magic.

The country south of where my novel is set has fourteen active knightly orders. One of which exists purely to let the knights hit on women. There are two others, but they are in exile, or bandits.

There are Lovecraftian deities in the universe and have the planet my WIP set on scheduled for demolition.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    Some Guy, zoupskim and Cave Troll like this.
  4. Kara Gatsby

Kara Gatsby Member

Historical fiction.

The real part: In 1970, MGM Studios sold off thousands of its props, costumes, vehicles, weapons, and miniatures to auctioneer David Weisz, who then auctioned them off to the public over the course of 18 sessions. Some of the items included a pair of the ruby slippers from The Wizard of Oz, a Sherman tank, a time machine, tugboats, and a locomotive. Ronald Hughes, a lawyer representing Charles Manson at the time, attended the auction and showed up in court in a suit worn by Spencer Tracy. He paid $5 for it.

Also real: Shortly after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, flyers went up around L.A. informing Japanese and Japanese Americans that they had about a week to make arrangements for their personal property, real estate, businesses, vehicles etc. before they were relocated to one of several facilities for an indefinite amount of time. They could bring clothing, eating utensils, bedding, and linens. Some entrusted everything else to government-maintained storage facilities; others sold off everything they owned for pennies on the dollar.

The fictional part: While working as a property manager (props man) at MGM in the 1940s, Baker Paulson, on the authority of his supervisor, made offers to these evacuees on several dozen pieces of Japanese antiques, furniture, and heirlooms. He paid as close to fair value as possible, promising that upon their return to LA, he would sell it back to them at the price they paid, no interest. When he ran out of MGM money, he emptied his savings and continued making offers. He made good on his promise, but it cost him his job.

5. cydney

cydney Banned

I don't have a story yet but if I did it would be about different dimensions and how men and women are able to time travel with positive emotions - like love or compassion. People full of hate or cruelty would never be able to invade those dimensions. Those who truly desired peace would have it in another dimension yet remain on earth and carry out normal duties.

I love the idea but I'd have to make sure it was plausible for one thing, and that I used enough action scenes and tension to make it interesting. Maybe there could be a war of some kind! That might work. :)

Did I use this thread correctly? Oh well, if I didn't, it was inspiring, anyway! Thanks!

Cave Troll likes this.
  6. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

My lead UrFan protagonist is a black woman named Charlie Petersen who used to run a crack cocaine ring. The main ally/rival Wild Card that she meets in my first story is a vampire who grew up in New Orleans with a strong hatred of Jazz in general, as well as for Marion Harris in particular.

After reading Sonny's Blues for my English class (the titular main character is a black man who's addicted to heroin, but who loves Jazz in general, as well as Charlie "Bird" Parker in particular), I decided that these coincidences were too many not to run with, so I made it that Charlie's parents named her explicitly after the Birdman and she grew up surrounded by Jazz that she hated as much as the antagonist did.

I'd also decided months before this that vampires in my story don't bond over similarities the way humans do, so accidentally creating such a ridiculously strong similarity gave me an opportunity to have Charlie eventually try bonding with the vampire about how they both grew up hating the Jazz that they were expected to love, but then have Charlie and her friends be surprised by how casually the vampire shrugs off this very strong similarity as a non-factor in whether or not they're going to be friends.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    zoupskim and Cave Troll like this.
  7. halisme

Oh, and one of the eldritch god's has a habit of introducing itself to cultures and convincing them of its own power. Currently these are Kyune (China equivalent), The Pyrics Isles (Vikings) and an group I've not named, but who will likely be based off the Mali Empire. None of them know about each other however.

Cave Troll likes this.
  8. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I like Hal, have more. Had very little time as I was in class. :p

Centurians do not clean the blades of their swords/knives as an old tradition dating back many thousands of years. And the metal is made of a special alloy of uknown amalgamation of metals that will not rust from just sitting out, or being coated in blood of kills.
    Most Species/Races can have sexual congress, but unable to produce offspring (in the extremely low chance of a hybrid being conceived, they would be much like a mule in the fact that a hybrid cannot reproduce).
    Confederation and Martian Colonial (Humans/Greys) can only hit about 99.9 light speed. Centurians, Uldivarions, and several other races have a sub-space drive which allows them to travel in the space beneath space. Giving them the ability to travel vast distances in hours or days, and can be used as a defensive way of skirting around the enemy and get into a better position in a very short amount of time.
    The Greys and the Uldivarions are 'cousins' in a sense. Though the Uldivarions are 8ft tall with 2 pair of arms. While the much shorter Greys (4-5.5 ft) are less advanced. Both are offshoots of a common ancestor during evolution. Ironically enough they have somewhat of a distaste for one another, despite having some common ground.
    Possibly the strangest piece of lore with in the Renegade universe. Terra slowly turned into a Plutocratic Tyranny and has a puppet government run accordingly, while using the Confederation and Mercenary armies to do what they want (generally unpleasant). Martian Colonial is a Democratic Republic, and is actually far better than what we know today modern America and Allies. There is a great deal of freedom without being constantly surveyed by seedy gov. cameras or other forms of mass surveillance. The Military is also the Police force, and not exactly ideal to go around attracting the attention of basically the Marines times 5. The Uldivarion Empyre is some what similar to the Martian Colonial in terms of how the society works. However while being 1000 years more advanced than Humans. They are in fact an elected Monarchy in which the sitting Emperor/Empress is elected among the 6 worlds of the Empyre, and a new one is elected upon the death of the sitting party. Centurian government is a benign Oligarchy known as the Council of Elders. As the name implies it i comprised of the older wiser people with the interest of the masses in mind. The society is widely varied as far as being modern and medieval, and are 200 years more advanced than Humans. Of course they are very cultural dependent, but what would you expect from a planet of 7ft+ Reptilians?

cydney likes this.
  9. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Awesome facts about your stories, y'all! :D Keep 'em up!

Here's one more random fact from my fantasy:
    When Mishu Jerni (the MC) was a very small infant, Ikaya (a member of the weasel-like race known as the Aquani, and one of the priestesses of the chapel) used to bathe her by licking her -- as is customary for Aquani mothers to their young pups to bond with them. When Mishu brings this fact up to her friends, there's a mixture of ‘WTF!?’ and disgust. Because they aren't Aquani and neither is she.

Ikaya doesn't do this anymore, of course. That goes away once the young pup learns how to wash itself.

• Mishu is blind and also has Generalized Anxiety Disorder -- she is plagued by disturbing fantasies and feelings of impending dread.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    Cave Troll likes this.
  10. halisme

Resisting the urge to post my world building documents.

11. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

'This world' fantasy:
    The mountain kingdom was once a series of separate states and the current king (King Veen) is the grandson of the king who united them. King Veen is married to a daughter of one of these old noble families, who once ruled over the Peak District and are experts at keeping their cities hidden, which is also why Blue John is so rare.
    Invented world fantasy:
    • Myto whisky is known through out the world for being the best. The main exports of Higyoti (of which, Myto is the capital) are beef from Longhair cattle, sheet glass, barley, wool and silk. Samhach Yuki is well know for crystal cut glass, prized greatly in the islands.
    • Wit's canals were envisioned by a failing artist and a daughter of a nobleman, trying to prevent the compulsory surrendering of farmland to the railways.

Cave Troll likes this.
  12. halisme

Much like how many of Europes languages were influenced by latin due to Roman conquest, half of the world's languages were influenced by Sourcan, which is based off Persian. This makes communication easier overall, but more confusing.

The genes for magic were associated with the x chromosome. One gave magic, two resulted in still birth and deformity.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  13. Ebenezer Lux

Ebenezer Lux Member

Fantasy:

Teleportation is the act of destroying oneself completely in one locale and rebuilding oneself completely in a new locale. There is a time-limit on how long one can take to reintegrate oneself back into being, so important things like organs and consciousness are handled first. Vanity/aesthetics usually come last and are often rushed, so someone who teleports (in the novels they are called Oblivions) never looks exactly the same before and after they teleport.

zoupskim, Evian and I.A. By the Barn like this.
  14. cydney

cydney Banned

I guess since my stories are usually about my family I can share stuff my grandma used to do & say. One of her favorite sayings, "This is just pure silliness!" :)

15. G. Anderson

G. Anderson Active Member

Wow, you all have so many interesting fact. I guess my story is not so interesting...yet...but the main character is in a relationship with a fictional character, she's read about in a book.

16. halisme

My second book is going to be based off "Journey to The West", where a character leaves their homeland in search of the mean of producing gunpowder, instead of holy texts.

17. G. Anderson

G. Anderson Active Member

Great! Once it's a bit more advanced I shall put the first chapters up here :)

18. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

There are not a lot of lyrical songs that I can listen to when I'm writing, but one of them is Justin Townes Earle's Lone Pine Hill:

Now I signed up back in '61, I'm an Army of Virginia man
    I've been from Manassas to Mackonackey all the way to Sailor's Creek
    Fighting for my homeland

Out of four years gone, and all hope lost, and Richmond under seige
    We've been digging out Five Forks waiting in the rain
    For Sheridan to bring us to our knees

So take me home,
    Lone pine hill

I listened to this song dozens of times on repeat – one of my main characters is named Sheridan – before realizing how much I had talked about the fact that my story takes place outside of Richmond.

19. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

...hyperspace bypass?

This sounds like a really interesting setting, tbh.

halisme likes this.
  20. halisme

Unfortunately Zaphod has nothing to do with. Turns out magical energy was the lovecraftian guys food and they reacted the same way we do when there's ants in the kitchen.

21. Evian

Evian Banned

Fantasy -

Dragons are known to be kind, intelligent and fair race, there is always an exception to the rule however. This is when you get, people being eat, bad jokes, hero's doing their thing and wizards.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  22. Seraph751

Seraph751 If I fell down the rabbit hole... Contributor

Fantasy!

You earn your status, from commoner to guardian. Guardians are held to be the most noble and honorable of their race, and while they do not carry the responsibilities of a queen/king, they do protect their realms thoroughly. Guardians do not answer necessarily to the queen/king, more like they are on equal footing. (and the pally of the year award go to.... !!! Lol).

23. PrincessBLJack

PrincessBLJack New Member

Fantasy

Most major religions are based off the Magic Charmers, a group of magically sensitive human that became immortal and tried to rule over all the humans. They were eventually put into a deep sleep by men who would not be controlled thousands of years before my first story.
    The southern kingdoms of Zishwa, Hijikat, and Ercata believe in the Grand Pantheon, which were the Magic Charmers. But they have different versions. Zishwa believes in the Grand Pantion strictly. Where each god is equal, and all are directly prayed too. Hijikat blends the Grand Pantheon with Ancestor Worship. They believe in a heaven type place where all dead people go to be with the gods and they pray to their ancestors to bring messages to the gods. In Ercata, they believe the Gods Evinal, the Goddess of Weaving in other versions, and Chador, the God of the Sky, created the other gods, who created men. They prey primarily Evinal and Chador but other gods are mixed in.
    In the northern kindoms of Burduct and Allica, things are different. They believe in Dorahism. Dorah was a Magic Charmer, the God of Power in the Grand Pantheon. In the Burduct version of Dorahism, Dorah killed the other gods to save mankind from slavery. In the Allica version, the other never existed, there was always Dorah.
    The Magic Charmers don't really appear in my first story, only mentioned. But they do appear in later stories. However, Driath, the God/Queen of the Armagedites (who are considerer demons), does appear in the first story and is part of the Grand Pantheon. Driath is usually seen as the Goddess of Destruction. But Driath isn't a Magic Charmer, she's an actual god and was the one who taught magic to the Magic Charmers.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  24. Phens97

Phens97 New Member

i have many stories, almost all set in a single universe, so here goes:
    though the out break started on the west cost, it didn't hit critical mass until the east coast was hit, then it spread inland from the seas.

there are two main timelines; the fall and the reclamation (there were two attempts as of 2040, both failed) the fall takes place from 2011 to 2013 and i s fought primarily by soldiers. the first reclamation was fought in 2024 by the remains of the pre-fall military complex as a whole. the second reclamation is fought mostly by Marines, being an expeditionary force.

the plains and mid west have become a sort of wild west, with the new frontier and edge of government influence being the farthest east at Rifle Gap.

the British Isles fared quite well, as did Russia and several other world powers, though they still fight the threat of the dead thirty years later. the Unted States is one of the last to bring back up it's international relations through a deal with the UK, the UK agreeing to help the US clear the mid west and east n exchange for it's military assistance in the clearing of Asia and Africa

the commander of the UK task force tasked to the US decides to go rogue and retake the east coast in the name of the UK, sparking an international incident, small but brutal war that served to show the prowess of the new american military machine and almost kicked off a world war.

the US faces a massive anarchist movement the resists the government's authority, as it has become full-time socialist and left them to die thirty years before.

the undead in my series are the classic walking corpse variety, slow but relentless, however the disease that creates them is not uncurable, it is simply too difficult to treat that it is rendered practically impossible

the Federal Reserve bunker under Jacksonville, Florida is overrun while in possession of nearly all the gold bullion in the US treasury. it is victim of a heist thirty years after the fall, not for wealth, but simply to spite a man who wanted the gold within.

25. EnginEsq

EnginEsq Member

Science fiction, on a world being terraformed.

The main character of our novel, call her 'Z', learns a lullaby from the eldest daughter of her adoptive father, who sings it to Z to comfort her. The eldest daughter learned it from her husband. The song had been passed down in the husband's family for generations, since the early days of the colony. But no one knows where it originated.

In a short story set in the same world but many generations before the novel, it's revealed that the husband's great-to-the-nth grandmother learned it from the Z's mother, who (in the novel) Z is hiding from and who everyone in the novel fears. Z's mother learned it from her own mother, long ago.