1. CharlieTheUnicorn13

CharlieTheUnicorn13 New Member

Somewhere in this universe... Is there some reason

Need advice/opinion/help (music related)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CharlieTheUnicorn13, Jan 29, 2008.

I'm going to do a piano cover of the song Planet Hell by Nightwish. There are a few parts with nothing but guitar, and there's a short keyboard solo near the end. With the guitar part, it's almost impossible to tell what notes are being played. Same goes for the keyboard, because it's so fast. So. What do you think I should do? Just play the chords or improvise?

I'm assuming that I'm not the only music geek on here. (At least I hope I'm not. :p)

Well, if you have any ideas, write back. Please.

Charlie/Unicorn

p.s. Sorry, this is kind of "Arts related". I think. I don't know. I'm not trying to sell anything, so I think it's okay.

2. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Arn't there sites that have music on them? Not just the lyrics but the notes too?

Outside of that, if you can't play the song because of this problem pick a different song. One you know all the notes to. Plus I would never play night wish unless your the Steve Vai of piano.

I'm not a music geek so maybe my opinion doesn't matter.

3. MarcG

MarcG New Member

If you can find guitar tablature (sp?) it should have something you can convert into sheet music. You can often find keyboard/piano music on those same sites.

4. CharlieTheUnicorn13

Thanks, and I appreciate that you tried to help, but this is a "cover". I don't really consider a song a cover unless it was arranged and played by the musician. Yes. I am weird. But thanks anyway. I'll check it out, and see if I can at least get the sheet music for the parts I don't know.

5. Sir Ender

Sir Ender New Member

Well, if you have the tabs, but they're just too fast for you, you could always learn it slowly and then speed it up.

And if you don't well, if you have an ear for pitch and you can tab it yourself, you can use a program to slow the song down, and then write down the notes&tabs just to know what they are.

I like using Audacity for that. You can get that program for free of the internet.

6. Frost

Frost Active Member

Enders idea is a good one. Alternatively you can stop being stingy and buy the sheet music, and use that. If you can't read sheet music go with Enders idea.

7. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Yeah, search guitartabs on google or try downloading the program at ultimateguitar.com. As for the keyboard, I assume you can look up tabs for that as well.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

where are you doing this 'cover'?... are you making a cd, or performing in public?... and do you intend to pay the going rate for covering it?

9. TheFedoraPirate

TheFedoraPirate New Member

Well, I have no musical knowledge but I wanted to say you have awesome music tastes.

10. Baywriter

Baywriter Contributor Contributor

Um... I can't really help. I too do that sort of thing, and I have picked out many songs by ear. The only thing I can think to suggest is to do what I do. Listen to small sections of the part you can't pick out very well, keep it in your head or sing it back to yourself if you have to, then find the notes on the piano. It usually works for me on tricky stuff like that.

11. CharlieTheUnicorn13

Thank you, guys. I'm going to
    1. Look up the tab, so I'll at least know what the right chords are
    2. Use Ender's program
    3. Do what baywriter suggester and just listen to the small parts until I think I can play them.
    4. Listen to the song eighty times, lol.

This is not a proffessional cover, and, chances are, the only people who will ever hear it or see it performed are my friends, family, some people at the county fair and the cafe` on mainstreet, and maybe some people on the internet (if I upload it, I'm still unsure.)

Well. Thanks again. Other ideas and suggestions are still welcome. Who knows? They may be useful to other musicians.

Later! Charlie/Unicorn

12. mammamaia

you still didn't say if you intend to pay the obligatory royalty for covering the copyrighted material... if not, how would you like it if people used your work without paying you for it?

13. CharlieTheUnicorn13

Well, if they used it for money, I'd be really ticked off. As long as they gave credit to me, the original writer, and didn't just copy my music note for note, then I'd approve. That's why I think it's wrong to "cover" a song, when all you really did is take their sheet music and perform it. I, personally, would be very happy if someone decided to cover my own work, as long as they gave credit to me and made it their own in some way or another. I can see what you're saying, though.

14. mammamaia

so, are you going to pay the royalty, or not?... are you performing for free?... or is someone [you or others] going to be making money on your performance?

15. Frost

Frost Active Member

Maia, I dont think he's going to be paying the royalty. Hardly anyone pays the royalty when its as informal as this. Nobody even cares about the royalties. So long as people aren't literally stealing the music, and giving all due credit it's all good. Obviously if he's going to put the cover on an album or something he'll need to pay but he's just playing for his mates, so I think that the answer is then a definite no.