Tags:
  1. Ragne

Ragne Member

Hello, a french visitor here.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ragne, Sep 17, 2019.

Hello

My name is Ragne.

I'm an old wanderer of writting forum. In my day, I admnistrated one.
    Today, I really need to improve my english skill, so I come here to post some words each day to have return about my syntax and grammar (which are very weak as you will discover).

For the rest, I'm a french man (really attractive and soooo clever -without forgetting really humble), I'm writing since I'm 8 years old and I have already finish some book (in French, don't be afraid). I'm actually running for some big concours in France to work for the governement and i need to have a good english, so that's why i'm here. Give me your knowledge, you library gnome !

I'm note sure I can be a big help to comment for once, I still have a struggle to understand the subtility of your language. But I can give my opinion on your story, that's yet a start, isn't it?

Some other informations without any meaning about me ?
    My favourite book is Darkness at noon from Arthur Koestler.
    I'm 6'4 (techniccaly, I trust internet on that, Im not really aware of the imperial system)

The name of my finish novel are (not published, I'm not looking for it actually) :
    • Leviathan My first and really bad book, a story about a change in politic where the head of the governement have all the idea of the entire population in his mind to run the country.
    • Le songe des morts I guess we can translate it by The dreaming of the deaths Some fantasy novel about a man who run a planete on a bloody war to distract a god and thus prevent him to destroy the planet
    • La nation de nos pères. The translation is more tricky here, I don't know if a litteral transcription give the melancholia inside. Whathever : The Nation of our Father. Story of a father who take a theater in hostage to read the suicide letter from his son.
    • L'albatros. I guess that the easier to translate. The Albatross. (what a surprise, you can understanding french, how marvelous are you!). Story of a man who fall in a cavern and discover the rubble of an old city under the watch of an Albatross.

A last question, there is no chatbox here, where you can laugh of my word and debate about what is the best between having wood teeth or arm of 9 feet ?

Hope my language is not so awefull and you didn't loose your eyes on this reading.
    Don't hesitated to taunt and correct me on it, that's why I'm here :)

matwoolf, Some Guy and EFMingo like this.
  2. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    :superhello:
    :superidea::supergrin:
    upload_2019-9-17_11-19-44.jpeg

3. Ragne

Ragne Member

Oh my god my lame puns have a consequency on the real world

Cave Troll likes this.
  4. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

The responsibility weighs heavily and the consequences loom large for us both, my brother of puns.
    Welcome.
    And, I'm happy to assist:

:)

Cave Troll and Ragne like this.
  5. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Yes, there is. It's called The Lounge. And I bet that's a topic that has never appeared there before. Wooden teeth or a 9-foot arm? :geek:

Hello, fellow Owl—I'm one of the forum moderators, and I want to say hello and welcome to our forum. You have administered a writer's forum elsewhere? In French, I presume? Well, you already know more than most of us, I reckon. Good luck with your English, although lots of us native speakers fracture it ourselves ...either on purpose or by accident. Don't take anything you read here as gospel.

I genuinely look forward to your contributions here. You have already made me laugh (on purpose, I presume) so that's not a bad start as well.

While you're getting oriented to our mysterious ways, you might want to take a look at these two links. They will help keep you right, regarding how we do things on this forum. They also explain what is required before you are allowed to post your own work for critique in our Workshop section—which is the only place on the forum where you are allowed to post your work.

New Member Quick Start

Forum Rules

Feel free to explore around, take your time, get to know us while we get to know you. Jump in to any thread that draws your interest and makes you feel as if you have something to say.

And have fun. I think you already have a great capacity for that.

If you encounter any difficulties, feel free to contact me via a 'conversation' (start it by clicking my owl avatar and following the signs) and I'll do my best to help.

Cheers for now,

Jan

Ragne likes this.
  6. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Banjerr mussieur geant homminoide.

Comme toot la monde ja also parlez francais - mes une pew solement. WELCOMES! xx

7. Ragne

Ragne Member

Some reply !
    Ok, I'm a adult now, I can handle the fame.

Oh, your BBcode is in caps, what a surprise.

I'm really sad that this subject doesn't exist yet, that's a true question you must answer for your developpement. It's a necessity.

An other owl ! I guess that's means that we are friend now. Owlfriend.

I have been an administrater in one (and half) forum indeed (and in french indeed, my language skill are french, english -learn on 9gag-, a bit of swedish and some rumbling sound in german. None is developping enough to carry a community other than my native tong). One for a young audience, for whom writting was only a phase to developpe themself as adult and another a bit more elitist, but I had to quit it early.

Thanks for the warning, I assumed than you have less language outrage than us, but I guess it's the same anywhere ;)

It's a good start, I only need to know how to construct a sentence and I'm the new Terry Pratchett.

THanks for this greeting, It's really heartwarming, and I sure will do. :)

Monsieur, vous parlez mieux français que l'intégralité des morts (et probablement des vivants également), écrivez un livre dans la langue de molière et le prix Goncourt est à vous.

(Sir, your French is wonderfull, better than the sum of the living and the death. Write a book in this tongue and you will -without any doubt- win the Goncourt Prize (some equivalent of the Pullitzer for us frogg eaters))

Thanks for your word, see you on the forum :)

Some Guy and jannert like this.
  8. jannert

Yep. You're making me laugh. And just so you can sleep soundly tonight, I choose the 9-foot arm. I love bracelets, and besides that, such a long grabber would be useful in many ways. Wooden teeth? Like George Washington, Father of America? Not so much. Steel teeth, attractively whitened ...now that I could go for. Eliminate bottle openers and dentists in one fell swoop.

Ah, vous venez de rencontrer notre TapisLoup. Tiens ton chapeau ....

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  9. Ragne

Ragne Member

Yes, but with the wooden teeth, you have something to burn in case of doosmday to warm a soup. That's really convenient.

Some Guy likes this.
  10. jannert

But only once. Unless it's a one-tooth soup. Then you have 32 small fires. Or, in my case, about 15....

Some Guy likes this.
  11. Ragne

Ragne Member

Indeed. That's can be an issue, but I don't expect to survivr emore than a month in case of doomsday. You are anticipating too much ;)

Oh my god, what's happened to your jaw ? Someone play xylophone on it ?

jannert likes this.
  12. jannert

Actually, I exaggerated. I have 24 teeth of my very own. No xylophone. It was all those years of opening beer bottles without an opener that did it....

Some Guy likes this.