1. Alphacharizard

Alphacharizard New Member

Writting new relationships for sequels?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Alphacharizard, Jul 29, 2019.

I'm starting with a sci-fi story and it will have two sequels, so I'll have three stories, all of them with the same protagonit, but with different characters with him.

The thing is that I don't know how I can make each cast unique and not repetitive. I'm still starting, but I have an idea about each of them, but I feel that I'm being repetitive in a couple of things:

1.The three main casts are "normal" people: in the first part they are random guys who ended in the wrong place, in the second part they are the protagonist's "apprentices" and in the 3rd part they are ex-convicts who, along with the protagonist, wants redemption.
    2.In parts 1 and 2 the protagonist will have a... difficult relation with another character. In part one it will be with a petty thief. In part two it will be with someone who was a villain in part 1. In both cases THe rotagonist and the other character becomes great friends.
    3.In the three cases I dread repeating archetypes, for example, in all of them I have a big friendly guy.

Any idea or suggestion?
    Thank you.

2. Baeraad

Baeraad Senior Member

Well... one simple way is to just take the archetype you use the first time and completely reverse it. So if you have a big, friendly guy in the first part, you could have a small, unfriendly guy in the second. Or just chance one crucial attribute while leaving the others the same - so in the first one you'd have a big, friendly guy, in the second you'd have a small, friendly guy, and in the third you'd have a big, unfriendly guy.

Alphacharizard likes this.
  3. Frazen

Frazen Member

I had exactly the same problem while writing my first unfinished novel. I've become acutely aware of characterisations in movies and books ever since. The thing is there are two aspects to each character:
    1-How they fit the plot in the story
    2- How they fit as a human being

To make diversity in the first aspect, try to think of the different skills (or backgrounds) they have, and how those skills are used in the story. For instance, if someone is strong and sturdy, the other guy probably would be smart and agile. Now they can face challenges and make themselves useful (in terms of the plot) in different ways.

To make diversity in the second aspect, just put yourself in the shoes of the character. Think of real life examples and the people you've met. What kind of personalities do they have? How can each of these people "learn" something new that they don't already possess? What is their weak point? What is their strength? I'm sure that in your life you have met with people with personalities much more diverse than the ones you have written about. Take note of subtleties and don't box them as "the smart-ass" or "the bad-ass" and so on and so forth.

Alphacharizard and Cave Troll like this.
  4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I believe the technical term is 'Trilogy'. :p

Well each relationship should be different, since
    the two would be different peoples. It shouldn't be
    too difficult to make a Thief and a Villain dynamically
    their own persons, since I trust they are not going to
    have the same traits across the board. That just seems
    to be the way of things, but there will be things where
    each will differ and draw interest for the protag. So
    it might be a good idea to hash out what the protag sees
    in each of the two parties, and what attributes make them
    stand out on their own.
    Now they can share similar traits, such as being witty and
    charming, but they will have their own ways of expressing
    them.
    Or you can make them two radically different individuals,
    that the protag finds interest in their opposing personas.
    Take some time explore the first one, since you are only at
    book 1, and then by the time you get on to the others you
    can see how you want the second to be. Much to think about
    and keep notes on. :)

Alphacharizard likes this.