Tags:
  1. O.M. Hillside

O.M. Hillside Senior Member

Here's to Year One

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by O.M. Hillside, Jan 27, 2018.

Hi there.

I'm a 20 year old college student, who's rather serious about giving writing a side-run. Or as I guess they might've said in the past: giving it a college try.

I hope I can get to know at least some people here who are serious about writing and really want to make good work. I'm not saying I'm perfect, but I really believe in the goals I aim to accomplish through writing, as well as my ability to pursue them.

Okay on a somewhat less serious note, please message me, reply to this post and let me know if you'd like to ever proofread or exchange ideas or whatever. It seems like they call private messages "conversations" here. So, if you'd like to start a conversation with me and talk about thoughts or ideas, please do.

Here's to being able to post my first story eventually.

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Welcome!

What kind of stuff are you writing?

3. O.M. Hillside

Thanks. Realistic fiction. I just finished my first actual short story which I'm going to post asap. It's a somewhat cynical, but I think, in a sense, uplifting, take on a coming of age story. It's about a college-aged boy who's going through a rough patch in his life and is feeling somewhat isolated. He wants to find a way to get out of the cage he's built for himself and, in the process of an attempt, learns a valuable lesson in what it means to be an adult: a person who lives, as opposed to the very accessible alternative of dying.

Right now I'm sifting through a few ideas but I know the general themes I want to explore. So the theme is: the melancholy of prosperity. I want to find out why many of us are so unhappy despite having everything. Really, it can be argued a lower class person in America has more than the majority of the world. That's not to dismiss the pain they feel or even the pain that wealthy people feel for whatever reason. But I just want to know how so many people can go through the pain of starvation, disease, and high rates of mortality around them and yet still keep going on with their lives. But people here can have everything but feel enough crippling emotional damage that they actually end their own lives. In some sense, I think this idea may be novel worthy in scope, but I want to write a few short stories before I make any attempts at a novel. So I may play with aspects of that idea in less generality.

BayView likes this.
  4. Stevehwonder

Stevehwonder Member

Recent college graduate here, facing the wild world of employment and contracts. What are you going through for?

5. O.M. Hillside

Computer science. That's my official field, but I've always had a side-interest in writing. But programming is pretty interesting too. What field are you working in?

6. Stevehwonder

Stevehwonder Member

Public relations, communications, and marketing. All the soft skills!

7. Rosacrvx

Rosacrvx Contributor Contributor

Interesting ideas to work on. Welcome and best of luck!

8. Sphynx

Sphynx Member

I like your line of ideas and think you are on to something great. Keep working at it and best of luck!