1. boesjwoelie

boesjwoelie New Member

inspiration leak...

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by boesjwoelie, May 26, 2010.

So, I've been working on a novel for some time now, but I got bogged down a bit.

No sweat, I decided to get some side projects going on to keep myself busy :) and of course as an attempt to get the inspiration going again.

It seemed to work at first, I wrote some shorts, and ideas started to come again. But then something weird happened... I got an idea - for the novel - then marinated on it a bit and finally decided it would make a cool short :rolleyes:

Now that this has happened a few times, I'm getting a little worried these shorts are causing some sort of 'pressure loss' on the novel ideas :redface:

Has any of you ever had a problem like this? Or is my brain perhaps better suited for short stories? :)

2. Midnight_Adventurer

Midnight_Adventurer Active Member

I kind of understand what you mean and I'd love to help but the only suggestion that comes to mind is maybe you should spend less time on your side projects, which seem to be flourishing, and more trying to actually get you novel moving again. I know it sounds rather mundane and simple but I've had moments when I've become stuck and I've moved on to other projects only to feel that I really want to continue with my original story so I sit down and think about where it's going or where it could go. It’s really the only way to do it, persistence is the key when it comes to writing.
    I hope that helps and good luck with your novel!

3. tcol4417

tcol4417 Member

I've actually heard that writers starting out should work on a series of short stories before taking on a big project to help the, develop the skills needed to finish something sizable.

Then again, I've also heard that the government is trying to mind control us with flu shots, so take everything you hear with a grain of salt.

4. Halcyon

Halcyon Contributor Contributor

This is contentious. I've always argued that short story writing is a separate skill set from novel writing. I've previously likened it to a sprinter and a marathon runner. They're both runners, but being good at one doesn't mean you'll be good at the other, even although both require the same basic skill (running).

However, this argument was shot down by some very learned senior members around here who feel that short story writing is almost a pre-requisite to novel writing.

For myself, I've self-published a fairly long novel that was well received, and am working on a second, but I also was fortunate enough to win the most recent weekly short-story contest on here, so maybe I'm capable (to at least a modest degree) in both areas. But most writers, I believe, will eventually come to realise that their abilities lie in one direction or the other, but not both. :)

5. Loup

Loup New Member

Two or three years ago, I personally began a novel (in French) but I got tired and went on other projects. This experience illustrates the difficulty of staying focused on the same aim for months.
    I think that the main matter is the motivation. Do you really wish to finish this novel or not ? How far can you go ? For me, writing is laying basically on pleasure. I'm not able to force myself to write since I don't take it as a job (fortunately !).
    Cling to your project or not, it's up to you but you can't walk between the two of them.