1. rainshine

rainshine New Member

Masonic meetings

Discussion in 'Research' started by rainshine, Oct 31, 2011.

Hi
    What happens at masonic meetings please, how do you prepare for a meeting, especially new members, what paraphanalia do you take with you, how much is discussed with the misses thanks

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

a lot of boyishly secret rigmarole goes on among the masons that they're supposedly sworn to never reveal... you'll have to ask a member who's willing to risk the consequences for spilling details of their sacred rituals to an outsider...

or, you could just google for books whose authors may already have done so! ;-)

3. rainshine

rainshine New Member

Hi
    Thanks, I knew I was asking for the impossible. In my imagination though a meeting occurs what every month or so, I know they have special aprons or pinnies and gloves they must get washed somewhere.

4. seelifein69

seelifein69 Active Member

My Grandfather and my dad were both Masons.

My dad got pretty upset when he saw the documentary on the Masons, I think they showed it on the History Chanel or Discovery.

I would look that up, they might have it on hulu.com or xfinity.com. Great info and really in depth stuff for someone with no real way to get any other info.

I don't want to say anything because it is so sacred to them (though now my dad has stopped going because it's getting a little to commercialized, he says they either need to get MORE or LESS serious, they're stuck in this weird medium) but I will point you toward that documentary. Secrets of the Masons, I think?

the Spade and the Gavel are two big symbols that masons HAVE with them, I think they achieve them after completing something, like membership or being a past master.

But nowadays its not as serious as it was before. They have Haunted Houses and Prime Rib Night now.

5. rainshine

rainshine New Member

Thankyou so much, I know they have ladies evenings now, and the wives obviously know when and where a meeting takes place.

6. seelifein69

Jobs Daughters and then there is something about a rainbow or something...that's what the women do.

Are you looking for this information for a story that takes place in the past? or in the present?

Because if it's the present, I think they meet once or twice a month at the lodge.

In the past I'm sure it would be more frequent and more secretive

7. rainshine

rainshine New Member

Its present day, or modern day society where wives intermingle, go to dos, charity events and have meals, I just wondered about where in the house the dressware is kept, how is it cleaned and washed, I know there is a dress code for masons, the women dress a certain way, as do the men,they know each other in the street there are signs and hand shakes, there are masonic gifts, jewellry quite expensive too from the website, so its interweaving their way of life into a normal life, I know quite lot but not enough to get under the skin of it. Also Im curious as to how the total way of life takes over your own where everything from how to cook, to keeping house (from the other wives I expect) or am I wrong there, like following a manual of Austin or Mrs Beaton, or members of the WI.

8. seelifein69

My father has a beautiful diamond ring that almost looks like a class ring with symbols all over it.

he has a spade, which I don't know why he got that, and I think he got his gavel from being a past-master.

Uh, as far as where it's all kept is up to the person, nothing specific but a place that's a little hiding spot where people usually wouldn't poke in. it's not like hiding a big secret, but maybe in a drawer no one goes in or even in trunk.

that's kinda the part that's no fun, is there isn't that secrecy any more. when you become a mason you are sworn to death if you tell, but there are obviously no mason-related deaths around anymore, so it's kinda useless. you promise all these things and go through all these plays (which is an important part of mason meetings, are plays) and rituals but there isn't that ominous threat of real death or real pain anymore.

dress code, I think the Master wears some kind of apron, but I always saw my dad in a suit with a mason pin. and I saw my grandma in a white dress, but I was pretty young when I saw the meeting of Job's Daughters, so I'm pretty sure that maybe it's just semi formal attire..

9. rainshine

rainshine New Member

Thats really interesting thankyou, do you have any stories about how they were invited to join? who asked who what was said ( is there a special speech) my friends were invited to a lovely dinner when then asked. I am not in touch with any of my lovely masonic friends any more, but thats how my origional interest started.

10. seelifein69

I think I remembered my dad saying that you had to be petitioned in if you don't have a reference?

But I know you defiantly have to be referred by someone. Like my grandfather was a member (I don't know how he came about that) and so my father could become a member by knowing him. You can join if you have friends in the Masons.

But if your a Mason, your basically set, it's a respectable title, right under the armed forces.

11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

why a 'spade'?... wouldn't it be a 'trowel' since that's what masons use?

12. seelifein69

it's the same shape. idk what the hell it's called. but yeah it goes back to Solomon days when masons where builders.