1. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

What Gets You Up in The Morning?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lewdog, Oct 2, 2013.

So I've been in the doldrums quite a bit lately so I thought I would start a motivational thread where people can list the things that helps them get up out of bed each day.

Though it's been difficult for me to do lately, I always find rolling over to see my cat Cinder peeking over the edge of the bed at me and sometimes poking my feet, helps me get my day started.

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

First, I guess it's the strong desire to not wet the bed.

After that, it's mostly my desire to write and learn. I can't read when I'm asleep.

When I have a contract, it's also the desire to get the work done so a) I can get paid, and b) I can go back to sleep. I don't have any contracts right now, though, so I have a lot of time to do whatever I want and hang out here. I hope a contract (or something else) comes through soon, though, otherwise it will be a very lean Christmas ...

3. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

@minstrel: I hope you get a contract sorted before Christmas :)

@Lewdog: For me, if it's not my cat who is gunning for breakfast from 6 o'clock, or my dog returning from a walk soaking wet, or the guilt-trip about not making my poor hard-working husband some breakfast, then it's having to take my asthma inhalers. Between all the motivating factors, I'm up before 7 most days :D

4. Morgan Willows

Morgan Willows New Member

My incredibly needy, crank old lady of a cat wanting breakfast, and after breakfast she wants cuddles, and then she just wants to sit on my desk and purr at me all day occasionally demanding pets. Also, my rats needing to be let out to run around and sniff at everything and fall asleep on my shoulder.

(I wonder how many other people are going to have some variation of "my cat" haha)

5. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

My two sons. Hopefully it's not extra early with the loud proclamation of "Mommy! My sheets are wet!" Or the dog jumping in and out of bed. And also, hopefully not finding a gallon of urine on the floor.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

knowing i have emails from people needing help awaiting me and lately, a major project of awesome importance to continue working on... plus, i can't see any reason to just lie there in bed, after waking up...

7. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse Contributor Contributor

The desire not to waste time is usually enough to get me up. I just can't stay in bed longer than necessary. At night, I don't go down until I'm drop-dead tired. In the mornings, I'm back on my feet the moment I'm able to see straight. I'll sleep when I'm dead.

The only time I remain in bed is if I'm having a very-illuminating dream. Some of my best writing ideas come from dreams or from that creatively-fruitful state of being half-awake. I may linger in bed if I feel like I'm on the verge of discovery. Other than that, it's very hard to keep me under the sheets.

8. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I never realized how much you and I have in common, @minstrel. My work dynamic is the same. Independent contracting is liberating and at the same time always slightly scary.

To the OP, my husband, my dog and my cat. :) My husband gave me the safety net I needed to give it a go as an independent interpreter/translator. My dog and cat depend on me. I do what I love for a living. I have a good man at my side. I live in a beautiful place. I have a good life, the rarity of which is not lost on me.

9. Uberwatch

Uberwatch Active Member

Motivation that today is better than yesterday.

10. Wild Knight

Wild Knight Senior Member

What gets me up in the morning is my body's apparent hatred of sleep... and after that, dream journaling, IF that's interesting enough. My dog has to be taken out, I have to feed my three fat pigs- I mean, cats.

11. MainerMikeBrown

MainerMikeBrown Senior Member

What gets me up in the morning is listening to modern dance music. This kind of music is energetic. Hence, it gets me out of bed.

12. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

The Mrs. is my main motivator. Everything I do, I do to better our joint future. I know, I know, but that's the main reason why I bother getting out of bed after waking up from too little sleep.
    Writing is also a huge motivator. Most of our hobbies / activities are tied to writing one way or another: studying English at the uni and working as a translator / English teacher to better our understanding of the language, training combat sports / IPSC so we can write more realistic action sequences, practicing horseback riding and traditional European fencing so our medieval fantasies aren't fantasy in all the wrong (to us) ways etc.

Tomorrow we'll learn the basics of how medieval European fighters used the capricious art of arm locks / small joint manipulation in CQC. As good a reason to drag our bones out of bed and into the gym as any, I guess. I just hope we won't spar (much) 'cause my back is still sprained...

13. MainerMikeBrown

MainerMikeBrown Senior Member

Thinking of something humorous, such as thinking about a Sienfeld episode, gets me energized just enough to get myself out of bed.

14. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

That would get me out of bed, too, but only to turn it off. Modern dance music is a blight on my earscape.

Trish likes this.
  15. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

My alarm. Then the kids have to be gotten ready for school, or I need to make them food, or find the clothes they lost since the night before (because they HAVE to wear that, okay, well that's mostly my daughter). Then I have to call my dad to take his heart medicine because he can't be late taking it and sometimes he sleeps through his alarm because of insomnia. Either way, I am up at 6:30 seven days a week. I decide to go back to bed about 5 times a year, usually when I'm sick.

16. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The joy of a fresh new day. I love my job. I love sunrises on the way to work. I love Mondays, and I love weekends. I take moments throughout each day to look around and find beauty. I love new challenges, at work and in my free time.

Life is good. Even when things get tough, it's better than a permanent dirt nap. So every day starts out great. Every day is great, until it isn't.

That's what gets me up in the morning.

Dragonport and jazzabel like this.
  17. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

I just remembered something really inspiring, thought I'd share. Her morning mantra is 'Today is going to be the best day of my life'.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  18. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

I like to have enough time to chop down the morning wood before going to work. That's my morning motivation.

Alucard Inoue and 123456789 like this.
  19. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Wake up in the morning??? :eek::confused::eek::confused:

20. LeighAnn

LeighAnn Member

My kids get me up and it's torture. If I could have an extra hour to sleep, it would be my desire to watch the sun rise (which I do every morning).

21. Macaberz

Macaberz Pay it forward Contributor

The moonlight ;)

22. Alesia

Alesia Pen names: AJ Connor, Carey Connolly Contributor

Rolling over, planting my face in the pillow, and slurring a few swear words about how much I hate the morning.

23. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

School. School. School.

And on weekends, I get up only to watch amvs and read manga.