1. Simon Says

Simon Says Member

A Eureka moment...

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Simon Says, Jun 11, 2018.

There's a few threads at the moment including one of my own about multiple P. O. V's in first person novels...

Well whilst cycling today (I do quite a lot of cycling including a 20 mile daily commute to the day job) I sorted my own problems. .

One character will be a diary.. Another will be a blog and the third will a polictical memior all with appropriate headings and dates...

The different styles suit each P. O. V perfectly

I also decided to merge 2 characters to stop the requirement of a 4th character pov or third person narrative. Sorted. Initial writers block side stepped. I can now get on with the first draft.

Cycling is brilliant for thinking about your stories... An hour or two of pure thinking time with minimal distractions.... (Oh and I'm a member of a large cycling forum if you are.... I may know you over there)

izzybot and Spencer1990 like this.
  2. DeeDee

DeeDee Contributor Contributor

Not when the ground is hilly and you're going up slopes :supergrin:. Or riding beside cars :bigmeh:. Interesting solution, btw :agreed:

Simon Says likes this.
  3. BlitzGirl

BlitzGirl Contributor Contributor

That's great that you figured it out! Those "eureka" moments are always satisfying. That's how I felt when, while writing a scene, I finally figured out what would cause the king's lack of faith. It was nothing that I was planning at all. It just...came to me. Same with the moment I knew that my main character would be bisexual. I did not plan that, either, but I also didn't feel that I was forcing that onto her. It simply felt like I had "discovered" a new fact about her, something that was always there but I wasn't made aware of it until later.

I can never force good ideas, or force myself out of writer's block. I don't have any tricks I use to get the juices flowing. Most of the time, I just need to wait for them to come to me.

Simon Says and Linz like this.
  4. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

When I have plot problems, I weed the garden and explain them to Columbo.

Really.

It works.

jannert, izzybot and Simon Says like this.
  5. Simon Says

Simon Says Member

I've now added a bit of motivation to my eureka moment. I've worked out how many days until a significant birthday of mine in late October and have broken it down into words per day based on 80,000 words for a first draft...

620 words per days or 4 pages (double line spacing)

And printed off the relevant months on google calender and I'm going to write a running total each day with a + or - on amount required.

Hopefully this will motivate me to keep writing...

I'm going to keep using open office and not google docs (as discussed in another thread) and type any extra at lunchtime in an email to myself and cut and paste it in open office.

BlitzGirl likes this.
  6. BlitzGirl

That's a great goal! Good luck!

Simon Says likes this.
  7. Simon Says

Simon Says Member

I might post a running total on here every few days

8. BlitzGirl

Alternatively, you could also create a progress journal for this story in the "Progress Journal" sub forum. That's where people have been posting updates about their stories. :)

Simon Says likes this.
  9. Simon Says

Simon Says Member

Thank you.... being a newbie I've not seen all the sub forums yet.. I'll have a look and perhaps post in there.

That will helpfully motivate me a bit more.

BlitzGirl likes this.