1. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

Let's pool our experience re: Facebook and Instagram for authors

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by Catrin Lewis, Apr 10, 2020.

Thanks to Mark Dawson's SPF 101 course, I've finally gotten around to starting a serious* Facebook author page and an Instagram account to go with it.

I'm learning as I go along and can answer some questions that aren't obvious from either site's Help pages.

And there's other stuff I can't figure out at all.

So I thought I'd start a thread where we can ask each other, "How do I do this?" and "What happened with that?" and keep all the discussion together.

So. One thing I've learned is that your Facebook page can Like and follow other Facebook pages. Go to the page you want to like, join, or follow (for instance, the WritingForums.org page, facebook.com/Writingforums/), and click on the three dots to the right of the Like / Follow / Share band. Scroll down to "Like As Your Page." Click on that and you'll get a popup asking you to select the page you want to like it as. The dropdown arrow will show you all the pages you have admin rights over. Choose the relevant one and eh, voila! You can comment on that page in your author persona.

That's my contribution for now. Here's my question:

How do you get a comment from a follower and its subsequent responses to show up on your main page? I'm having a fun conversation with one of our WF members, after she "engaged" with my cover photo. I can get to it via my notifications, but it isn't showing up in Visitor posts. Sometimes when I pop out the convo I get a green button that says something like "I'm Done," but I have no idea what will happen if I click it. How about "Move to Main"?

Your turn. Any ideas?
    *I had an author page a few years ago, and it disappeared. So--- I admit it--- I started a bootleg profile under my author name (naughty of me) so I could engage with other writers and writer interest groups. But I avoided friending individuals from it or asking for anyone to friend me. I wish I could merge it with my new author page, but it's under a different email address.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    dawnlight likes this.
  2. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

I can't contribute to IG, but coincidally this week I also started on FB (not that I need it right now):

- I figured I can't join any groups under my page name, only under my profile name.
    - Like Catrin, I can comment as my page name to someone else's post (doesn't matter if this someone else is a page or a profile)
    - I can't post to someone else's page with my page name. Notice that there are two issues involved: Post and comment. Posting is apparently treated differently by FB than commenting. A page is also treated differently than a profile

Any ideas?

3. Catrin Lewis

You're right. I just tried it on Joanna Penn's page The Creative Penn, and if I want to make a post someplace like that, it has to be under my private profile.

I've edited my thread-starter to reflect that.

Lifeline likes this.
  4. The Piper

The Piper Contributor Contributor

If I understand right about OP's question on the comment conversation, it could be something to do with that commenter's privacy settings - so if they've set it to "friends only" or whatever the option is for basically "not everyone", then not everyone will be able to see it. Therefore as the person that they commented to, you can see it (i.e. from your page) but as a visitor who isn't included in their privacy settings (as you would be if you go to your page's visitor view) then you might not be able to see it because technically you're then just a member of the public and the comment wasn't intended for you? So unfortunately nothing you can do about that it'll just depend on individual settings for each person. I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong (or explain better). Hope this helps!

5. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Twitter is the hard one. I like to post pictures of myself with animal ears on Instagram. Don't judge. A really cool publication follows me.

6. Catrin Lewis

Hmmm. Under Visitor Posts in Settings I've got that anyone can publish or add photos to the page, subject to my moderation. Could that be the problem, that I don't understand the moderating tools?

7. The Piper

The Piper Contributor Contributor

Oh, anyone can add posts or comments to the page, and that's based on your settings as you've just described. But not everyone will be able to see those posts or comments, and that will be based on the settings defined by whoever posted/commented. So you, as the owner of the page, will be able to see all of them, but you as a visitor will only be able to see the ones that you (as a visitor) have been allowed to see by the posters? I hope this makes slightly more sense now - I could also still be wrong so apologies if so. But it's a fair guess, I think.