1. MissRis

MissRis New Member

Describing noises

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by MissRis, Apr 19, 2012.

How do you generally go about describing noises to an audience? Do you resort to onomatopoeia or do you use an alternative or mix the two? If you use onomatopoeia, would you italicize it? I'm specifically thinking in terms of a helicopter like noise, but I think talking in general terms is also useful.

2. Kaymindless

Kaymindless New Member

I generally just describe them. I can't think of a time where I would make an actually sound effect of the helicopter. Just put in with the sentence.

3. Jowettc

Jowettc New Member

Depends on the POV and the scene, but i prefer descriptive rather than straight out "crash", "bang", "eek" kind of stuff.

She jumped at the loud bang of the car backfiring.

The wailing siren split the night.

Jake crashed through the skylight.

4. Nakhti

Nakhti Banned

I would keep it simple. The more precise you try to be the more you will confuse and annoy your reader. So no 'schushche scheusche schushche went the helicopter blades...' - otherwise your reader will spend more time trying to work out how to pronounce the word then they will appreciating the scene.

The helicopter blades whirred above her head.

That's about all your need.

5. names

names New Member

Maybe put some emotion into the noise I figure. That way you can have a nice effect on the narrative style or your story works better.

6. MissRis

MissRis New Member

I had more of a "thwap, thwap" going, but maybe I'll take it out. It's really a giant bird creature attacking my MC, but she thinks it's a helicopter. So I guess maybe saying that it sounded like a helicopter is enough, although a "whir" might be good.