1. Ashrynn

Ashrynn Active Member

Submitting Work for Critique?

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Ashrynn, Jun 4, 2011.

I am working on the first bits of my work and I have a conversation between the main character and her cousin that I was thinking of having someone look over.

I know when posted online it's considered published or such, but would putting up a couple of paragraphs be alright?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A small (percentagewise) excerpt is generally not a problem. An alternate aproach is to write something else entirely for the sole purpose of critique. After all, it isn't the specific work you plan to publish you need critique for, It's your overall writing style and habits. If your concern is with dialogue, create a scene with a similar flavor of dialogue for critique.

Not only will you get critique without exposing your work in progress, you are getting additional writing practice in an area that you feel less than adept in.

3. Ashrynn

Ashrynn Active Member

I'll figure out exactly how much will be put up. It's from the start and doesn't give away any real plot details.

I'll consider typing up something different, but I'm worried I won't really feel it and half-ass the writing because of this.