1. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Announcement Medals - an interim solution

Discussion in 'Writing Contests' started by big soft moose, Nov 28, 2023.

As most of you will know the medal engine has been as stable as a celebrity marriage for quite a while, and despite my best efforts I have been unable to fix it. I will keep trying and if we ever do manage to capture the elusive lesser spotted owner, it will be on the list of things for him to look at.

Meantime as a number of people have flagged the lack of acknowledgement of winners I have implemented a temporary solution using user groups which means that if you win a contest you will get a shiny banner in lieu of your medal, which looks like this.
    Screenshot 2023-11-28 at 22-55-48 The Science Thread.png

This isn't a fully ideal solution as there are a number of problems with it, but it is I hope better than nothing

The three major points I would call out stem from the same issue, that being that the number of user groups we can have is limited and so is the number of banner slots on a profile, this means that:

a) We can't have separate banners each year for flash, poetry, and short story
    b) No matter how many times you win in a year you only get one banner (if you win in more than one year you will get a banner per year - I hope we fix the problem before we run out of slots at one per year)
    c) If like me you have a lot of banners already you may start losing them if you win more than once - only really an issue for a few people most of whom are staff or ex staff.

Contest admins, can we change the winning text from 'big soft moose will be along with your medal' to 'big soft moose will be along with your banner' please... I don't want to be promising medals when i can offer no certainty on when or if the engine will get fixed/renewed/replaced

Last edited: Nov 28, 2023
  2. Louanne Learning

Louanne Learning Happy Wonderer Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

Thank you so much for all your efforts and attention to his. It's a fine solution. :)

Richach, MWB, Set2Stun and 3 others like this.
  3. ps102

ps102 PureSnows102 Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

It's certainly a lot better than nothing. We appreciate your effort against aged software, Moose.

B.E. Nugent, MWB, Set2Stun and 2 others like this.
  4. w. bogart

w. bogart Contributor Contributor Blogerator

Ducktape and bailing wire, sometimes its the only option to fix things.

MWB likes this.
  5. MWB

MWB Active Member Contest Winner 2023

As seems usual around here...Louanne has said it best :bigsmile:

Thanks @big soft moose

Louanne Learning likes this.
  6. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

noted.

7. Casper

Casper Banned Contest Winner 2023

Hello,
    We all appreciate your efforts - but putting the text 'medal winner' in brash yellow distracts from the member's post -keep it the same colour, a kind of light blue perhaps...

8. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

unfortunately there's only a limited number of usergroup colours available, and most of them are already taken - if there's a consensus about this we can look at changing it for 2024