1. Manic Writer

Manic Writer New Member

Imagine who would play your character in the movies or on television

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Manic Writer, Oct 19, 2011.

I don't expect any of my books will ever make it to the screen but sometimes I find it very helpful to imagine who would play my characters on the television or in a movie. It is a great help in visualizing the voice and manner of the character.

I use such character models from all through the media, including public figures, both from the present day and from those long since dead.

2. Marranda

Marranda New Member

I did that when I began writing in 1st person point of view for each of my characters. It helped in situations where there was a physical description used, helped me keep a strong mental image.
    These are who I imagined as my characters (though some of the physical attributes were changed for my character's individuality sake):

Sabby: Rachel Bilson (Heart of Dixie)
    Warden: Sebastian Stan (Kings)
    Bentley: Til Schweiger (King Arthur/ Inglorious Basterds)
    Taren: Jane Levy (Suburgatory)
    Felix: Dante Basco (as he looked in 1991's Hook, as Rufio)
    Eve: Tatum O'Neal (Rescue Me)
    Pogo: Robert LaSardo (Nip/Tuck// Death Race)

What can I say? I have an all-star cast :p

3. CULLEN DORN

CULLEN DORN New Member

When that should happen with my book I would want none other than
    Johnny Depp to play the lead role of Adam Kadmon, and Anthony Hopkins
    the famous clairvoyant Clifford Bias in "The Hierophant Of 100th Street." ;)

4. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake New Member

I've used people I know (one of them was too irresistable not to, he's a hoot)
    Ordinarily I would make them a composite of various people I know real life or from films and such..

5. Arabesque

Arabesque New Member

I usually draw and composite various features to make my characters. Sometimes they do end up looking like actors or people I know though.

I'd hate for my story to ever be live action. My main character's 13 and it's rare to see good child actors, haha.

6. Show

Show Contributor Contributor

I do this a lot. Not all the time. Sometimes the character has a look that I don't exactly have a clear picture of in my head, but can't find a visual match for. Sometimes I find somebody who is really close to what I want or is good enough to totally rewrite my look. Sometimes I create a character around an actor. lol But yeah, I visualize all my writing as movies/tv shows and it really helps me to get into it. I probably should expand my actor pool more. lol And it DOES make it awkward when a character is raped/murdered/expose/etc. lol (Not that any actor is really involved but it's still awkward. lol) But yeah, it seems to be a popular technique. Not for everyone, but it's something.

7. Goldstein

Goldstein New Member

Oh man, I love thinking up stuff like this. I'd have Emma Watson, Anthony Hopkins, William Shatner, Mark Harmon, Cote de Pablo, Christian Bale in a mosh pit of gloriousness.
    Maybe I should finish the dern thing before I dream up actors that can be in my novel-adaptation, eh?

8. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

My God Shatner? Don't make me listen to his cover of bohemian rhapsody again... Horrible.

And I have no idea who to cast, bad asses?

9. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

John Cusack as either Ben Carver, protag of the piece I've had in mind for aaages (which started out as a film idea but graduated to novel idea), or protag of the other piece I've been working on as Stephen Wortham.
    He'd also make a fucking spectacular Robert Time.

10. Cyndi45

Cyndi45 New Member

I like to find actors and actresses that suit my character's appearance, as I have imagined them.

11. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

Right, so who would it be? :p That's what the OP is asking.

12. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

who'd play my main character?

When I first started thinking of Kate Almir, I pictured her looking like and being somewhat like Yancy Butler's Sarah Pezzoni from Witchblade. Kate's grown into her own and I see this:

Kate Almir: Alexis Davalos (Kara from Chronicles of Riddick)
    Jennifer Loving: Magda Apanowicz (Caprica)
    Doctor Thomson: Allesandra Torresani (Caprica's Zoey
    Chief Bradly: Alex Kingston
    Admiral Reyes: Edward James Olmos (Battlestar Galactica)

some of the other character's would be negotiable. Those are the big ones.

CK

13. Goldstein

Goldstein New Member

Yes, fricking Shatner. No, he won't sing Bohemain Rhapsody.

14. Saffron

Saffron New Member

Mine would be...

Eli - A young Marion Cotillard
    Aelith - A young Natalie Dormer (with blonde hair)
    Aland - Tom Hardy
    Leuwin - Jamie Bell (maybe)
    Garrow - Rufus Sewell (maybe)
    Cyren - Jamie Campbell-Bower
    Caederin - James McAvoy (maybe)

15. rainshine

rainshine New Member

my third book which I have running around in my head
    has Richard and Judy in it. havent decided on the others yet.

16. LunaEclipse

LunaEclipse New Member

aaahh, I do this all the time! Really helps with my writing. But I keep flitting about from actor to actor!! I don't know who to base my bad guy on at the mo, I'm torn between Richard Armitage, David Boreanaz and Bradley Cooper ;/ Who do you guys think would be more evil?
    I've based so many characters on movie stars, Hugh Jackman and Tom Hardy have got to have made my two favourite characters of all time ^^ Tom Hardy . . . . ;)

17. KateEnglund

KateEnglund New Member

i have been thinking about this one all afternoon because i acctually dont know who could play my characters now adays i've based my story on an old film in which some actors have died and the rest are too old to be in the right age catagory.

Frank-:Enrique Iglesias(maybe)
    Jolene-Emma Watson
    Luigi-:Russell Brand or Johnny Depp
    Diana-:Katy Perry

theres would be lots more actors in it but i havent got a clue who the others could be i really dont. Its a bit Marlon Brando is dead he would have made a perfect father for Frank lol

18. AJ Winters

AJ Winters New Member

Ben Johnson - Will Smith
    Hailey Johnson - My daughter
    Gospol Salone - Samuel L. Jackson
    Jason Espy - Garrett Hedlund
    Markus Aeron - Cillian Murphy
    Vorgan Pryde - Paul Bettany, with Jennifer Connelly as his fiancee, Grace (minor character)
    Charity West - Jessica Biel
    Audrey West - Lena Headey
    Sarah White - My wife
    Jonathon Mrez - Ian McKellen

My dream cast. :)

19. cb1990

cb1990 New Member

For my latest sci-fi piece I'd have to say;

Chris Banks - A 21 year old street smart drug dealer/urban business man - Main Character: Scott Micheal Foster i.e Cappie from Greek
    Brody Adams - A 21 year old UCLA Drop out Tech Geek: William Moseley i.e Chronicles of Narnia movies
    Ethan Hawke - 40 year old, captain of the Xeon (The ship it is based around) from Newcastle - Robson Green i.e Northern Lights
    Dani - 25 year old pilot, hot, takes no crap - Jessica Alba like when she is in Machete.
    Steve - 30 Year old engineer, quiet, methodical - Elijah Wood
    Stanislav - 40ish russian ex-mercenary - Garry Daniels i.e 2010 Tekken Movie as Bryan Fury.

They all seem to fit the bill. That would be a sick movie.

20. WriterWM86

WriterWM86 New Member

For my "Project Supercar" series (if it were to be a TV series, then all the main characters from three of my car story series would have to return)...

Veronica Kurosawa (Supercar 1) (DOB: 06/22/86): 25-year-old quiet clerk in a Seattle shopping mall, has a passion for cars. She has a sense of adventure and won the first tournament. My choice: Jamie Chung (Samurai Girl)

Calandra Davies (from same series) (DOB: 12/31/84): 27-year-old FBI agent who came from Scotland called in to investigate evil mega-corporation SpiraTech Industries, but constantly runs into Veronica. My choice: Romola Garai (Vanity Fair)

Zachary "Zack" Atwood (Supercar 2: The Worldly Newcomers) (DOB: 01/12/86): 25-year-old struggling comic book artist moving to Los Angeles from Denver, Colorado. He won the second tournament. My choice: Thomas Dekker (Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles)

Amanda "Ryan" Lively (from same series) (date of birth unknown): Young woman that thinks she's a teenager. She was originally going to be named Alyssa Blanchard, an online motoring show host. My choice: Leighton Meester (Gossip Girl)

Draven "Ryan" Wheeler (Supercar 3: The Timeline Warriors) (DOB: 04/09/year unknown): A stuntman taking online classes at Stanford University in California who only knows his name after bumping into his mentor's Chevrolet Camaro Z28 at a race track, suffering amnesia in the process. He goes missing from a movie lot only to find himself in the tournament. He learns that legend has it that the white and burgundy racing suit he wears on the track is cursed. Rumor has it he has trained all over the world. My choice: Either Penn Badgley (Gossip Girl) or Evan Peters (American Horror Story)

Jade "Melissa" Overton (same series) (DOB: 07/25/year unknown): For the first time in the series and my near 20-year writing career, an androgynous woman who has the same hair and eye color of actor James Lafferty from One Tree Hill and appears to be attracted to Draven. She enters the third tournament to rub out Amanda. My choice: either Shantel VanSanten (same TV series as Lafferty) or Margo Harshman (Fired Up!)

Alli "Amanda" Pearson (same series) (DOB: 05/05/year unknown): An androgynous woman who has a hairstyle similar to Cavalist (a band out of San Diego, CA) frontman Weston Gardner, but with French braid ponytails. Rumor has it she was tested by scientists at a very early age. She is a close friend and rival of Jade that has trained along with her. My choice: either Evan Rachel Wood (Thirteen) or Katie Cassidy (Melrose Place)

These are all the main characters who the story series centers around... :)