1. beehoney

beehoney Member

Punctuation Should I use brackets when I write in 3rd Person?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by beehoney, Jan 27, 2018.

Hello Writing-Community,

So. Today I ask you: Should I use brackets when I write in 3rd Person?

I mean in first person it’s wonderful to use it. It’s like a comment from the character/ narrator.

But in 3rd Person? Ok, when your narrator is omniscient then you may use it.—But this style is boring. So, I decided to use the deep 3rd person. However, I don’t know if I should use brackets in this style.

But what’s your opinion? “Yes!” or “No! let it be”

Bye,

beehoney

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Do you mean parentheses? (Like the things that this sentence is in?)

I can't see any reason why you wouldn't use them.

3. Lemie

Lemie Contributor Contributor

I don't know what's the correct thing to do, but I've always parentheses pulls you out of the story and just feels off. I don't read first person if I can help it, though, and it might be the norm there.

Isn't it often used for forth wall breaking? And that's something best left for Deadpool.

4. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Actually, whether you mean [brackets] or (parentheses), I can't think of why you would feel the need to use them in a narrative, whether it be first person or third. What, exactly, did you have in mind?

5. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

I generally use parenthesis as a sort of mid sentence digression tool. Like say I'm writing a story about Bob and Bob's mother, but I'm in the middle of a sentence about Bob (and not his mother) where it would help clarify the situation if I mentioned his mother (because they have a complicated relationship), but the tidbit would kill the pacing or just isn't big enough to be put in a sentence on it's own (she's a rather boring woman). But separating shifts isn't something I would use them for. Going from first to third or third to second is something I would separate by using different chapters, chapter breaks, or at the very least, paragraphs.

6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I use parentheses in non fiction writing - I can't remember the last time I used it in fiction in any PoV . But if you are going to use it in 1st person there's no particular reason not to use it in close third. Personally I wouldn't use it in either

7. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Anytime a parenthetical is appropriate you can use parentheses, of course.

In first person, everything is a comment by the narrator so I’m not entirely sure what you’re getting at.

8. Elven Candy

Elven Candy Pay no attention to the foot in my mouth Contributor

Putting parentheses in fiction books isn't the norm, but I've read and enjoyed books that have them. Whether it will work for your story depends entirely on you, the story, and the story's style. If the story's very serious, I wouldn't recommend adding parentheses because they'll tend to pull the reader out of the story. If the story's flamboyant or funny, a few parentheses here and there could fit right in.

BayView likes this.
  9. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I agree with this. I can see it being useful if you had a light, chatty writing style. I'm not sure it'd be useful if you were trying for something more serious.