1. Laser Sailor

Laser Sailor New Member

The Name Game

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Laser Sailor, Aug 7, 2010.

Bringing characters into the story

I'm having a hard time trying to bring in new characters. I'm writing with a limited POV, fixed on the main character but I want to bring in new people that he hasn't met yet. How do you suggest doing this, I know I'll have to switch POV but I thought that was something to avoid.

2. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Can you have them in the same place without knowing each other yet (like they're both at a mutual friend's party, or a train station or whatver)?

Then the MC can describe them, overhear their conversations, etc.

When you say limited POV, do you mean 1st person or 2nd?

3. Laser Sailor

Laser Sailor New Member

No I wanted to keep their meeting until the climax, one the protagonist and the other is a minor antagonist.

I'm using 3rd person, I've been told it's best to avoid changing POV between characters. But I see it done all the time, is it just a more advanced way to write? Perhaps I'm just confused by a misinterpretation.

4. Langadune

Langadune Member

I'm from the part of Kansas that doesn't look like
    It's okay to pull back on your POV when the minor characters are the focus of the scene, especially when your protagonist isn't present. Just remember to be consistent with your POV. If it's your protagonist's scene use the "correct" POV.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You could either wait until your focus character meets them, or you can switch the POV in some chapters in which your focus character does not appear.

6. Laser Sailor

Laser Sailor New Member

Thanks. I also read your article about his subject, exactly what I needed. The one about the mechanics of dialogue was also greatly informative.