1. Okon

Okon Contributor Contributor

Fancy Broom.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Okon, Mar 30, 2014.

When I first met a girl, I bought her a broom (it's a long story; let's just say I swept her off her feet).

Our anniversary is still a bit away, but I'm planning for it already because I want it to be kind of special. Among other things, I want to get her another broom. I've looked all over the net but I can't find any brooms that are really classy as well as functional, but not electronic.

Does anybody know of any fancy brooms that I could order for under $100 (before shipping)?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BYQLGNY/?tag=postedlinks04-20

get her that and put the balance of your budgeted hundred bucks toward one of the additions below...

but be sure to include in the gift box something more romantic, like tickets to a ballet, or a fancily-handwritten invitation to an intimate dinner at her favorite fancy restaurant...

or, if you can take the fun/racy route with her, a sexy nightie, scented candles and box of 'tickler' condoms...

Okon likes this.
  3. Okon

Thank you @mammamaia. Those are good ideas--especially the latter--but I still really want to get her a nice broom as well. I said "among other things" because the broom isn't the central part of her gift. The $100 is more like what I'm willing to wince and spend if it turns out that fancy brooms have a generally high price range. I'd happily get her a $20 broom if it looks nice. It just, you know, needs to be authentic.

4. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

Your best bet for something fancy are wedding brooms, like this.

5. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Errmmmm ....wedding broom... Would this gift be misinterpreted? :eek:

Or, maybe you SHOULD...! :)

6. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

GingerCoffee likes this.
  7. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

@jannert : Oops! It didn't even occur to me. They have the purple fabric version, maybe doesn't look so wedding-y?

8. Okon

The wedding brooms are pretty, but yes, even the purple one could be mistaken for popping the question.

It looks like some of those broom pendants come with initials, too :cool:.

Thank you all; ideas have started buzzing in my head.

9. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

My question is, what is the message behind the broom?

10. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

11. BookLover

BookLover Active Member

Hopefully the message isn't that she should be your maid. :p Although I'm sure it's some romantic, inside joke. (You alluded to sweeping her off her feet. Awww.) I don't have any suggestions. I just wanted to give you props on giving your girl something special! Never underestimate the power of a thoughtful gift!

Actually I do have one suggestion. Why not buy a very regular broom with a thick wooden handle and then carve something romantic into it. It doesn't have to be a picture. Maybe carve a poem or even just a romantic phrase that further reflects the symbolism of the broom.

jannert, Okon and Andrae Smith like this.
  12. Andrae Smith

@BookLover gives me a brilliant idea. Have you considered... making a broom? No really! If you have any skills as a craftsman with wood, you can find a nice shaft of wood, buy the bristles, and look up some steps for how to make a good old fashion broom. If you do this, you can inscribe anything on the stick. :)

You might even be able to learn a spell that could make it fly. Wouldn't that be something? ;)

13. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

My thought is something old-fashioned and handcrafted rather than modern. If I search for artisan broom or handmade broom or handcrafted broom I see some pretty things. None of them really hit me as being both a broom and a piece of art, which is what I was after, but maybe those search strings would eventually get you there.

jannert and Andrae Smith like this.
  14. Okon

@Andrae Smith: Woodworking never was and never will be my specialty. I'm better with dough, but a baked delight won't have the lasting properties I'm looking for. And no, the message has nothing to do with her cleaning up after me:D. But your and @BookLover's suggestion of engraving, combined with @ChickenFreak's search strings led me to a nice looking Vancouver store called the Granville Island Broom Co.

I'm going to order one of their natural branch brooms, then get a professional to engrave it:).

@Jack Asher that first one actually looks pretty useful. I might get it for myself.

@jazzabel: As for wedding brooms, I got a little curious and looked up their origin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_broom.
    Unless I read it wrong, it started as a turn of phrase for unauthentic or rushed marriages, but ended being taken literally as time went on. If I ever meet her on the aisle (not that I like thinking about the future) we are so going to jump over a broom.

jazzabel, BookLover and Andrae Smith like this.
  15. Andrae Smith

@Okon Well there is nothing wrong with hiring professionals. That's what they're there for, right? I was just making a suggestion. I would probably attempt to make one myself, devoting all the time and care as I possibly could, learning any professional technique I might need. I love woodworking though and was getting really good at it until I went to a school that did not offer it.

At least you've found a solution! You two don't plan on jumping the broom do you? My cousin did that at her wedding, and my grandma still cracks up about it ha ha.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    Okon likes this.
  16. BookLover

BookLover Active Member

I checked out that broom company you chose, the Granville Island Broom Co. Their brooms have been featured on Once Upon a Time, which is my favorite show at the moment! Good choice.

Okon and GingerCoffee like this.