1. NorthernLights

NorthernLights New Member

Your favorite contemporary poets / collections?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by NorthernLights, Aug 21, 2015.

Hey guys, I'm looking to pick up some poetry collections and wanting to get some recommendations. Honestly anything you post I'll look into. I'm looking to read a bunch of collections and hopefully incorporate that into my writing. Thanks in advance!

Recently I've read: Pigeon by Karen Solie, and it's an interesting read. Blends philosophy with nature in this cool way.

And also reading Sylvia's Plath journals to get some insight into a female mind (as I'm a dude), and of course she is a brilliant writer.

2. RachHP

RachHP Senior Member

Rupi Kaur! She has a book out called 'milk and honey' which I have yet to read, but lots of her poetry is floating around for free on the internet and I think she's amazing :)

NorthernLights likes this.
  3. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Heaney is always a safe bet. As is Patrick Kavanagh. You could go with Simon Armitage too, his modernisation of Sir Gawain was very goood, but his work on Homer is frankly a massive waste of everyone's time (sorry Simon, when I met you you seemed nice). Since you mentioned Plath, can I also recommend Auden?

NorthernLights likes this.
  4. NorthernLights

NorthernLights New Member

Cool, thanks a lot for the replies! Will definitely be checking some of this out.