1. TonyS

TonyS New Member

Pitching to a niche market...

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by TonyS, Aug 20, 2016.

I have always loved Dr. Seuss and Shel Silverstein and have written a book that contains probably 60 Shel-esque poems. I would very much like to put these in front of a publisher, but I'm told this is a very closed, niche market.
    I see a few authors doing it: Jack Prelutsky, for one. I also see a few small publishers, like Greenwillow, who have dealt with it, although I don't see a lot of action of late. (maybe I'm just out of the loop)

In any event, I can't figure out who to pitch it to, or which agent to contact.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

-Tony

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Probably makes sense to at least start with the agents who represent the authors you see already doing what you want to do.

You can usually find agents mentioned in the acknowledgement sections of books, or you can google the author name + agent and see what you get.

3. TonyS

TonyS New Member

Thank you. I have tried to find Jack Prelutsky's agent online, but have had no luck.

4. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

It doesn't look like he has an agent, but have a look here: http://jillcorcoranliteraryagency.com/recent-deals/ If you scroll down to the 'picture books' section, it mentions Prelutsky's poems in an anthology. It doesn't sound like the agent actually represents him, but maybe she likes those kind of poems? If you mention Prelutsky as a comp in your query, it might pique her interest.

BayView likes this.
  5. TonyS

TonyS New Member

Thank you. I appreciate the contact.

Tenderiser likes this.