1. Sriliko

Sriliko New Member

Book Recomendation?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Sriliko, Dec 8, 2013.

So lately I've picked up Imajica (Clive Barker) and been hooked. It has got me thinking. what other modern day Books with a magical element haven't i Read? Imajica does a pretty good job of it, not making magic useres ""superman""

Anyone got some recommendations that might fit what I'm looking for?

2. Burlbird

Burlbird Contributor Contributor

Almost a month, and no answer? :)

Imajica is probably the best Barker book - at least I enjoyed it very much... I've recently read "Weaveworld" and had a lot of fun (re-read it, in a way, because I've read the comicbook adaptation as a kid). "The Book of the Art" trilogy was also cool, but maybe not what you're looking for...
    Gaiman"s "Neverwhere" maybe? Straightforward, but maybe not as subtle?

3. shunoshi

shunoshi Member

The first thing that comes to mind when I hear modern-day magic is the Dresden Files. Easy reading and lots of fun.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  4. Sriliko

Sriliko New Member

I've also got a copy of weaveworld sitting here just haven't started it yet.
    from the blip I read on neverwhere it sounds pretty fascinating.

Is there a big difference in the books and the television show of Dresden Files?

5. shunoshi

shunoshi Member

The books are definitely different from what I've watched of the tv series. I only made it through an episode or two of the tv show before giving up on it. In fact, Butcher was quoted saying that the tv series was merely based on the same world as the books, but doesn't actually cover any of them.

The books are great; I've read them all. They start as individual stories that slowly ramp into major multi-book plot arcs involving mankind, the vampire clans, and Summer and Winter Fae. Give Storm Front a try. It's a short and easy read, however it's definitely not the best of the books. They continually get better.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  6. Sriliko

Sriliko New Member

Good deal. Concept sounds pretty cool. Will defiantly check it out. :cool:

Simpson17866 likes this.