1. julian95

julian95 New Member

Purgatory

Discussion in 'Research' started by julian95, Jul 15, 2011.

Ok, so I am currently in the planning process of a novel having the Purgatory as its setting. Only there is one problem: my knowledge of it isn't really much. I learned some of it when I was in a Catholic school and that was so long ago. A good 8 years to be honest. I still remember those teachings though but considering the fact that I learned it when I was 9 years old...

Help? Some links? Thank you!

Edit: I've already read Dante

2. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

Google 'hell' and purgatory. Go read Dante's Inferno. Read the Bible. Hell varies from culture to culture and even different branches of Christianity. The Bible describes it as a lake of fire, a place of eternal suffering, and even a land where demons and Satan/Lucifer dwell.

You could even try looking up lists of demons. Supposedly there are barons and kings in hell that have legions of demons at their command.

3. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

If this is the catholic stand-point it does not exist.

But it is not a very functional place, full of constant remorse and praying.

4. julian95

julian95 New Member

I've read Dante. A marvelous read. I am trying to find Purgatory, the place between Heaven and hell, between life and true death. So, I do not think that hell fits in that category. Yes, it is because of its multiple variations that I need help :p. Google can only take you so far, haha.

I know it does not exist. That's why it is my job to make it a relistic :D. Meanwhile, I will have to do some researching...

5. Interceptor

Interceptor New Member

Read Dante´s "Purgatorio". Althrough it´s subjectively written, it might be useful.
    On the other hand, setting of that kind largely depends on your own interpretation.

6. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

Dante is not "church cannon" so if you want a creative yet accurate idea it may not be be the best source of realism but it would give creative inspiration.

7. sidtvicious

sidtvicious Contributor Contributor

Inferno, office 752. Take a right turn at the wat
    Considering Purgatory has never been considered a physical place, by church doctrine, but more of a spiritual waiting room if you will I'd consider venturing outside of things that are considered cannon and think more along the lines of fictional representations.

Books: Dante's Purgatorio has already been mentioned, so i'll move on. Chaucer's The House of Fame, a lot of things by Mitch Albom deal with the afterlife (I saw a play called And the Winner is..., which has a sort of train station afterlife which is somewhat like purgatory).

A few things as far as film go: Wristcutters: A love Story (short independent film with purgatory as a setting), What Dreams May Come (think Dante with Robin Williams in the star role with a more modern set up), Defending Your Life (Rom/Com with Meryl streep takes place in the afterlife), Between Two Worlds (old film from 1944, good representation of an afterlife in between heaven and hell).

Alright, if i think of anything else I'll add it, but this is all i can think of right now.